MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, getting me an MG ZT soon in anthrecite and interested in getting the windows tinted. Now i need to know if there is anywhere good in the west midlands to use, and is it illegal to tint the front side windows at all?

I dont want limo black on the car, i want a light tint all the way round, any help will be appreciated :)

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello, getting me an MG ZT soon in anthrecite and interested in getting the windows tinted. Now i need to know if there is anywhere good in the west midlands to use, and is it illegal to tint the front side windows at all?

I dont want limo black on the car, i want a light tint all the way round, any help will be appreciated :)

Regards

Stu C
well by law your not really allowed to have any tint on the front but as we know it many cars manufactured have a light tint but not mad, just ultra light smoke. so its one of those things, really depends where you live and what kind of police in your area. most are busy chasing real problems others looking for someone to pick on.

ive had my rear passenger windows done in limo black, i have not done the rear window or front yet as above.... law holds me back. my cars sticks out like a sore thumb so if i did do an ultra light smoke. i risk drawing too much attention and possibley a chance to be picked on, and even checked out for other things tyres etc - im fine except my disabled badge (pre-reg disabled car...

so i hope that answers some query's

but tbh if your like me id take the risk and tint REALLY light, the rear there is no law or regulation for how dark the back window can be....strange considering the rear window is also just as important...but there ya this is england ladies.

and a hot tip, dont do the back too dark otherwise your reverse into public and they can prosecute your ass if your unlucky.

and i cant help you with tinting in your area, try www.yell.com or is it .co.uk? search companies in your area.
:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ino few people round my area who have tinted windows, and they have no problem with the police.

But every area is different!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooooo might ring them up and see, proper places you see ;) :lol:

Id like to stay legal as i can as i intend to take the car abroad as well, dont front the jon doms pulling me over for more then one reason of being british :err:

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
Tint Master in Donnington 01952 610690

Or the chap that comes to ya house will get the number for ya.

TM is a bit steep price wise.

Sie

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
but tbh if your like me id take the risk and tint REALLY light, the rear there is no law or regulation for how dark the back window can be....strange considering the rear window is also just as important...but there ya this is england ladies.
Theres no legal requirement to be able to see out of the back window, just like you get vans without back windows, and why most hot hatches have pitiful excuses for a rear window...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Theres no legal requirement to be able to see out of the back window, just like you get vans without back windows, and why most hot hatches have pitiful excuses for a rear window...
your choice if you want it black as night, i stick to ultra light smoke im not running the risk of either accident or being pulled up. also i have a Renault Master so i would know how restricted the views is. but the point is prevention and not making a bad example of window tints! keep it light for the rear window. im not talking about passenger!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Recently had my R25 windows done. £200 for dark black (not complete limo) on rear and both back sides, then a very light smoke on the front sides.

I had it done for the heat/sun reduction more than for looks - got a 3 month bady who travels in the back so i wanted to make it as comfotable for her as possible. Tho it does look pretty good on a silver car :)

As above, the legal requirement is for front window and front sides to be untinted but if you use a light tint on the fronts you're quite unlucky to get into bother about it. Most worst case scenarios they just tell you to get the front tint removed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry if ive got this all wrong but i thought you were legaly allowed to go as dark as u wanted on the rear sides and the back window, like someone mentioned, some vans are blanked off like this. Also you are allowed up to a 30% reduction in light penetration in the front sides but nothing on the actual windscreen.

Personaly i would have the legal limit all the way round (except the windscreen obviously), i think it looks rubbish when the back are one colour and the fronts are different....just my $0.02

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
apparently.....until a few years ago you were allowed a percentage of the front sides done. Then there was a law that supposedly came out saying nothing was allowed on the front sides or widescreens. Yet we still some new cars coming off the factory line with tints on the front sides. Civic being one of them so i think this law that came out is all pap.

I would go with light tints ont he front. My chick never gets any hassle with hers. Back and rear sides can go as dark as you like. Front windscreen, you can put any on down to the point of the window wipers. E.G tinting film in the form of a sun strip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the advice i got from the man who did mine was to have

black :back window
dark smoke: rear side windows
light smoke : front side windows

that way the tint looks gradual along the car and with the back window dark
less light gets in hence making the tint slightly darker.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

black :back window
dark smoke: rear side windows
light smoke : front side windows

:p dunno about that, would look a little off..

·
Registered
547 Posts

or

black rear side windows
Light smoke back window
ultra light smoke front side windows

1 - 20 of 22 Posts