MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a really productive 30 minute modification to my ZTT whilst listening to the cricket.
After reading a thread on fitting wood effect Fablon onto window switch surrounds, had a look in B&Q for grey coloured fablon to match ZT dashboards, no joy. But did find Some Plasticoat Pewter spray and thought I'd give it a go . really pleased with results, a little bit lighter than original dash but a great improvement on the ugly black plastic. Took out switches and removed top section carefully (very easy to do). Then sprayed the surround and re-fitted . Hey presto new window switches that pretty much match dash total cost £2.78. Have placed photos in gallery , not sure how to do a link

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Looks good. And the car looks absolutely stunning. Love ZT's in black. I actually cant think of a factory standard estate that looks as good.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
They do Alex, well sort of, wood graining kits have been available for ages
With care the effect can be very convincing I have used a couple as part of a few wood work Projects

And if you really want to go for some style how about marble?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got me a wandering wether to spray around the stereo and climate control????? No NO I'm joining the Corsa brigade must be a mid life crisis

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I actually had this thought today as well, but actually going the whole hog and getting all of it done in body colour (although my car is grey/black/blue). Doing the CC fascia and around the stereo would have actually looked really good, and wouldnt have been that much of a pain for MGR to do surely!?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Body colour is the way forward in my book too. :)

How did you spray up the switch surround? Did you strip it down to paint, or mask up the switch buttons?

·
Registered
399 Posts
How stunning is that!!!

My wife will be delighted to hear that I have a little weekend project :D

Well done that man, and thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your comments .... My wife was also very impressed with my latest venture "Oh thats nice dear"

Anyway probably stating the obvious but make sure you clean switch covers etc well with meths or alike to remove grease or silicone and aid bonding to the plastic. If the spray does seperate when you first spray just wipe staight off clean and start again.

Have Fun!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts