MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
How can I get to the bolts holding the glass in place when the window is stuck open. The switch and relays are good so looks like the motor.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,231 Posts
Get someone to operate the window whilst you pull the glass up, having the engine running may help.

·
Registered
mg_tf
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all
I,m looking for some advice
The drivers side window was stuck in the open position and refusing to go up. I checked the switch and that,s ok. The SCU relay was replaced last year but checked it out and that was ok but changed it anyway.
I tested the wires going into the regulator and getting 12 plus volts going down but zero going up.
I took the regulator out and all was working fine, the motor runs both ways if power is taken directly from the battery. So looks like a wiring problem from the motor to the fuse, but not sure how to proceed and fix the problem.
Any advice is much appreciated

Martin

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What year is the car? later TF models (around about Sept 2003 onwards) with the oval fob have a Pektron alarm and relay system, there are five relays within the system, one of them works the drivers window and a common fault when the relay is failing the window only works one way.

·
Registered
mg_tf
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year is the car? later TF models (around about Sept 2003 onwards) with the oval fob have a Pektron alarm and relay system, there are five relays within the system, one of them works the drivers window and a common fault when the relay is failing the window only works one way.
Its a 2004, checked the relay which was fine but changed it for good measure still not working.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,434 Posts
If you are certain the relay within the SCU is OK, then it can only really be a faulty switch or a break/poor connection in the wiring. You will have to work your way through the wiring with a test meter to find how for down the line power is going and then go from there. Obvious places for possible problems would be electrical connectors and of course where the wiring passes from body to door and may well have chafed or got trapped.

Beyond that I can't say - 99.9% of the time that a Pektron equipped car has a drivers side window that only works one way or not at all, it is the relay in the Pektron SCU that has failed; other causes are pretty rare.

·
Registered
mg_tf
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thanks for your response. The relay was replaced and showing 230+ ohms across the relevant pins. The two window switches were swapped around, so tomorrow it looks like hunting doesn't the specific wires (oh joy)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The relay is in a black box behind the centre console and not on its own and are soldered in. Most people change all five relays when replacing rather than one...are you sure you've checked the correct relay? Check here which shows the relay layout Pektron SCU Faults & Information

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Could broken wires in the loom at the NS boot hinge cause this problem. Pretty sure I have read before that others have had this problem.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,231 Posts
If it’s not the boot I would look at the back of the radio for wires that have been damaged between the radio and the sharp metal work behind the dash.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Cheers Ian, I will start the hunt today
No problem at all.

Make sure that you remove all of the cable wrap in that area, at least 6 inches in each direction. Broken wires in this part of the loom have created all kinds of weird and wonderful electrical problems in these cars over the years.

If any repairs are needed, its very sensible to add in extra wire to ease to tension on the loom at this point for the future.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts