MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The window winder relay has likely failed on my 2002 TF160. I haven't had time to get the current one out yet and have to go away to work before I'll get the chance. Hoping someone would know the part number and where to buy, so I can get one ordered ready for when I get home again.

Val

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,927 Posts
I would contact someone such as Rimmer Bros | Parts & Spares - Triumph, Land Rover, MG & More with your cars VIN number as electrically the TF at the time used most of the parts from the F but this started change over 2002.

If it’s the drivers side window than it may also be one shot window ECU that lives behind the carpet just under the door, in fact I maybe inclined to look there first to check that the connections are still ok as it can get damp due to its location.

·
Registered
mg_tf
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would contact someone such as Rimmer Bros | Parts & Spares - Triumph, Land Rover, MG & More with your cars VIN number as electrically the TF at the time used most of the parts from the F but this started change over 2002.

If it’s the drivers side window than it may also be one shot window ECU that lives behind the carpet just under the door, in fact I maybe inclined to look there first to check that the connections are still ok as it can get damp due to its location.
Thanks. I got a new relay from rimmers. Good quick service. Unfortunately this didn't cure the problem.

When I last drove the car, a few days ago, it was hot so we opened both windows. Once home they would not shut. As it happened a friend of ours who is an RAC man was staying on our campsite. He got the windows to close and we established that the relay could be the issue. the fuses are good and the switches work when powered from another sorce, as are the motors because the windows wound up.

Now having replaced the relay with a new one of the correct type the problem still exists. So obviously there is either another relay of fuse hidden somewhere else (the obvious ones under the bonet are all good too) or there is a broken wire behind the fuse panel.

Is there a way to get at the back of the panel?

Val.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,927 Posts
At this point you need a multimeter or at the very least a 12 volt bulb with two leads attached, the link to the wiring diagram for the window lift is for an MGF but it should be the same for the 2002 TF it is for my 02 TF. I would start with the switches to see if you are getting any voltage feeding the switch and then work back. You should be able to get a multimeter prob on the fuse contacts without having to dismantle anything.

http://www.apttony.co.uk/Circuits/WindowLift.JPG

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
12V Bulb just as effective as a multimeter for this sort of diagnosis.

Reactions: val. h

·
Registered
mg_tf
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point you need a multimeter or at the very least a 12 volt bulb with two leads attached, the link to the wiring diagram for the window lift is for an MGF but it should be the same for the 2002 TF it is for my 02 TF. I would start with the switches to see if you are getting any voltage feeding the switch and then work back. You should be able to get a multimeter prob on the fuse contacts without having to dismantle anything.

http://www.apttony.co.uk/Circuits/WindowLift.JPG
Thanks, I'll have a look-see what I can find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts