MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the passenger window alignment as it always went too high, upon taking the door card off the front window stop was mounted crosswise and therefor ineffective. I have now put it back in the correct way but now the window does not compress the cantrail seal even with the adjuster fully up, why?
In the back of my mind is the thought that the window stop appears to be of lighter construction than the drivers one I did a couple of months back but I'm not sure. I don't fancy stripping the other door down just to find out, so does anyone have an old one lying around they could measure for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate but what I really need is the distance from the middle of the stud to the very top where the metal turns 90 to form the rubber mount. I think that maybe this distance on mine is incorrect (too short) giving a lack of adjustment at the top.
I'll try and trick a photo up to explain better

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trev a new development (after I ordered a new stop) I found this bolt securing the bottom of the window was not home but is jammed, it comes undone easily enough but won't go home and the window can be lifted at this point but I can't do the bolt up to hold it. This door has obviously had probs and been bodged in the past, I'm going to attempt one more and pack the bolt out with washers. Hopefully that will work until the weather breaks when I don't mind it being off the road whilst I remove the window and motor to see what's wrong.
Gas Fixture Auto part Bumper Household hardware

·
Registered
mg_tf
167 Posts
How does the thread on the bolt or in the mating piece look, I had one on the cheater which was stripped and rammed back in with baco foil. I redrilled and heli-coiled it. I haven't ventured into the magical world of window magic yet, I'm sure it will be on a list sometime.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't taken it right out yet, that is a joy I'm saving for tomorrow, there's not a lot of room in the door so I don't think my !st attempt at a helicoil will happen there. I will have look with a mirror and torch but don't think I'll be able to do much in the space available so will prob try packing it out with a couple of washers just for now.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the bolt out to find a hard blob of thread lock? under the head cleaned that off and the bolt thread was damaged (yippee no helicoil), so new bolt fitted, window lifted slightly and bolt nipped up. This of course then meant 10 mins (Ho Ho) readjusting the window glass fit and it now seems good to go.
Whilst there going to fit sound deadening which made such a difference to the driver's door, then waxoyl the door bottom and card back on job done (I hope).
But all that can wait I'm going to the pub to celebrate getting off so lightly.

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
440 Posts
Got the bolt out to find a hard blob of thread lock? under the head cleaned that off and the bolt thread was damaged (yippee no helicoil), so new bolt fitted, window lifted slightly and bolt nipped up. This of course then meant 10 mins (Ho Ho) readjusting the window glass fit and it now seems good to go.
Whilst there going to fit sound deadening which made such a difference to the driver's door, then waxoyl the door bottom and card back on job done (I hope).
But all that can wait I'm going to the pub to celebrate getting off so lightly.
Hi, so does that mean that the gap between the rubber door edge (that we spoke about in July) and the glass is now fixed along with the (mirror) cheater? Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry mate I missed this, the answer is a yes to both, I took the cheater out and adjusted the angle between the upper and lower sections by filing the locating slot slightly, when reassembled this enabled me to adjust the cheater to align with the screen pillar much more easily. I intend at some point to do the other door and document/photo it to post on here in case it helps others.
The only probs were how much to file given the length of the arc (I guessed) and getting the window channel out of the runner in a good enough state to put it back, I did a quick search but failed to find a replacement.

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
440 Posts
Sorry mate I missed this, the answer is a yes to both, I took the cheater out and adjusted the angle between the upper and lower sections by filing the locating slot slightly, when reassembled this enabled me to adjust the cheater to align with the screen pillar much more easily. I intend at some point to do the other door and document/photo it to post on here in case it helps others.
The only probs were how much to file given the length of the arc (I guessed) and getting the window channel out of the runner in a good enough state to put it back, I did a quick search but failed to find a replacement.
Well done. D4KGP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts