MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read various threads re: wind stops and am still not clear as to whether the are easy to fit? do you have to drill anything? and do they make the difference that they claim to make?

If anyone could help I would be most grateful

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Ragsy said:
I have read various threads re: wind stops and am still not clear as to 1) whether the are easy to fit? 2) do you have to drill anything? and 3) do they make the difference that they claim to make?

If anyone could help I would be most grateful
1) NONE ARE DIFFICULT, SOME ARE EASIER THAN OTHERS
2) DEPENDS WHICH ONE YOU GET - MGR ORIGINAL NEEDS HOLES DRILLING
3) IN MY EXPERIENCE, YES WORTH THE MONEY TO KEEP MADAM HAPPY

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
three main ones:

MGR original - mesh type - with large metal bar on outside - requires drilling but comes with template - most effective out of all, but lacks looks.

BAS/MGF Centre ones - looks nice - perspex, easy to fit no drilling just undo some existing screws... bit flimsy and build quality iffy in places.

MS - as above for BAS version but looks the dogs with his hoops, and build quality much better...and folds down I believe which the bas one doesn;t.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Second that, I have the black mesh rectangular one, looks a bit naff compared to the £300 odd boxxer hoops, but does a magic job. 70mph, roof down and side windows up and your hair hardly gets blown about.

Buy one before you even think of spending a penny elsewhere on the car!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Agreed. I have the MGR black mesh windstop and it is excellent - the car is comfortable even in cold weather with the windstop and side windows up. Winter drives in my old MGB (no windstop) meant dressing up like Michelin man, but not now.

Nigel

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
sorry to wander slightly off topic but ...

a friend had a splendid t-shirt with a pic of engine bay on the front with the words 'Injection is fine but I'd rather be blown'

back on topic again ...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
scuzza said:
I am a bit odd - i actually quite like getting blown to @@@@
Easy with the MGR windstop - just reach behind you and push it down, don't know about the others, though.

Nigel

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
EmmaJackman said:
Don't forget you can also have the Newton Commercial version of the mesh one. Much the same as the original but no drilling required. You can also get them in different colours:

B&G (Newton) are very good, no drilling, brackets under the t-bar - do it before fitting hoops!!

G

·
I have the same sort as Emma...Spikee gave it to me and fitted it in a pub car park at the last MGR.org meet...around 20 minutes (Aphrodite was being awkward and he was probably put off by the crowd that gathered round him!). Absolutely brilliant and I think it looks the dogs doodahs with my black paintwork.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I have the original MGR one (cos it was fitted when I got the car) and the only other one I would want is the B&G/Newton Commercial one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
windstop

I also bought the NEWTON COMMERCIAL windstop, fitted in 30 mins, and now i wouldnt be without it. i have been on nights this week and have had my hood down every night, the difference it makes is unbelievable. money well spent.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I have the MGR one..
I'd like the MS hoops/windstop, but lack funds! :(

I think having a windstop makes quite a bit of difference.. no being blown around, and no wind blowing in your ears, giving you earache(which it certainly does to me, at motorway speeds, without a windstop)!

·
Registered
mg_tf
42 Posts
I use the MGR one…I got the Perspex one from MGOC Shop and had to modify it to fold down, used it for a while. but I think the Mesh type are more effective and am back using the MGR one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts