MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wind deflector repair for the Coupe.

OK, I was asked to post back if I could work out how to fix the deflectors not flicking up anymore issue and explain it here. So I'll give it a go:

1. Remove the glass roof.
2. Remove the deflector by bending it down in the middle enough so it will come off the hinge. Be careful not to snap them.
3. Look at the metal wire that we need to work on by standing looking down onto the roof. Take a note of how the wire bends, it's got a small bend which acts as a hook, and another right angled bend that acts to force the wire to twist when the deflector is in the down position, hence putting the wire in tension (or perhaps more accurately torsion?).
4. THe hole that the hook once sat is most likely ripped through. So we need to make a new hole. The best way to do this is to shorten the wire, by snipping it back a bit, and replicate the shape of the wire by using a pliers to bend it back to it's original shape.
5. Hold the deflector in the correct position so as to mark where the "hook" lays, this is where a new replacement hole needs to be drilled. Don't do what I did first off, and hold the deflector upside down, hence drilling the hole in the wrong position!!! Mark the relevant position, and drill using a slow drill with a 1.5mm (approx) drill bit. It will be clear which way you need to drill by looking at the original hole even though it's broken through.
6. Once the hole is done, hold the deflector in the upright position up to the "hook", place the hook in the hole. A bit fiddly but it then becomes clear how the thing works.
7. While keeping the hook in the hole, get the deflector back onto the hinge, again bending it in the middle in the down position will allow this.
8. All being well this ought to mean the deflector will flick up as it did when new. The shorter the wire the more force the deflector flicks up with.

I did this earlier today, and both the deflectors flick up. Great, with the summer approaching fast I am looking forward to a buffeting free roof off drive or two!

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
Wind deflector repair for the Coupe.

OK, I was asked to post back if I could work out how to fix the deflectors not flicking up anymore issue and explain it here. So I'll give it a go:

1. Remove the glass roof.
2. Remove the deflector by bending it down in the middle enough so it will come off the hinge. Be careful not to snap them.
3. Look at the metal wire that we need to work on by standing looking down onto the roof. Take a note of how the wire bends, it's got a small bend which acts as a hook, and another right angled bend that acts to force the wire to twist when the deflector is in the down position, hence putting the wire in tension (or perhaps more accurately torsion?).
4. THe hole that the hook once sat is most likely ripped through. So we need to make a new hole. The best way to do this is to shorten the wire, by snipping it back a bit, and replicate the shape of the wire by using a pliers to bend it back to it's original shape.
5. Hold the deflector in the correct position so as to mark where the "hook" lays, this is where a new replacement hole needs to be drilled. Don't do what I did first off, and hold the deflector upside down, hence drilling the hole in the wrong position!!! Mark the relevant position, and drill using a slow drill with a 1.5mm (approx) drill bit. It will be clear which way you need to drill by looking at the original hole even though it's broken through.
6. Once the hole is done, hold the deflector in the upright position up to the "hook", place the hook in the hole. A bit fiddly but it then becomes clear how the thing works.
7. While keeping the hook in the hole, get the deflector back onto the hinge, again bending it in the middle in the down position will allow this.
8. All being well this ought to mean the deflector will flick up as it did when new. The shorter the wire the more force the deflector flicks up with.

I did this earlier today, and both the deflectors flick up. Great, with the summer approaching fast I am looking forward to a buffeting free roof off drive or two!
I recall that I did the asking here, so thanks for the update. I will see about sorting my own coupe in the morning - it looks like rain here at the moment.

Cheers,
-- Andrew

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main point to remember is to shorten the wire, recreate the bends in excatly the same layout/format, and to hook the wire onto the new hole with the deflector in the upright position before getting the deflector back onto the hinge. It'll all become clear when you're doing it. Be careful not to snap the deflector though. I think the heat probably softened the plastic a bit and allowed them to bend a little more easily than normal. GOod luck. It makes a huge difference to the buffeting. I went for a quick spin yesterday with the roof off to try it. Also wanted to try my shortened gear stick. Took an inch off with a hacksaw (I have a grub screwed half alloy, half leather gearknob). Makes quite a difference. Was a pain to do though! Blades kept snapping, and grub screws needed filing down because the shaft is thicker further down. But worth it in the end. SHorter throw, and much less vague than it was. Again good luck with the deflectors.

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
The main point to remember is to shorten the wire, recreate the bends in excatly the same layout/format, and to hook the wire onto the new hole with the deflector in the upright position before getting the deflector back onto the hinge. It'll all become clear when you're doing it. Be careful not to snap the deflector though. I think the heat probably softened the plastic a bit and allowed them to bend a little more easily than normal. GOod luck. It makes a huge difference to the buffeting. I went for a quick spin yesterday with the roof off to try it. Also wanted to try my shortened gear stick. Took an inch off with a hacksaw (I have a grub screwed half alloy, half leather gearknob). Makes quite a difference. Was a pain to do though! Blades kept snapping, and grub screws needed filing down because the shaft is thicker further down. But worth it in the end. SHorter throw, and much less vague than it was. Again good luck with the deflectors.
Hi, had a go at it this afternoon (rain stopped play earlier), and yes the holes had torn through. Unfortunately, bending the wire in sufficiently similar fashion to the original is obviously beyond me as it still doesn't spring back into place. Also, the wire fixing into the roof doesn't look too clever - pull them to the right a bit and they just drop out.

Oh well, maybe I will have another go when I've given it a bit more thought.

Bye,
-- Andrew

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The wires shouldn't fall off or feel loose. When I first had a look at the wires a couple of weeks ago I got frustrated and tried to yank one of them out, but it wouldn't budge. Try repositioning it so that it sits solid. It needs to be fairly solid for the downward action of the deflector to put the long section of the wire into torsion.

Up position:

...................................... <relative position of edge with new drilled hole
|___________[ <This is the wire

if you take the right hand end to be the one with the hooked end. Imagine you are looking down onto the roof. The left hand side is the fixed end, which needs to be held fairly solidly in place. The hook fits into the back of the hole, so when the deflector is pushed into the down position it twists the wire so it now looks like this>

Down position:

|___________
...................[..................... <relative position of edge with new drilled hole

So basically the long section of the wire is twisted through 180degrees and so wants to revert back to the top position, and that's how you get the spring action.

Incidentally the long horizontal part of the wire should sit neatly in the hollowed edge of the deflector.

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
The wires shouldn't fall off or feel loose. When I first had a look at the wires a couple of weeks ago I got frustrated and tried to yank one of them out, but it wouldn't budge. Try repositioning it so that it sits solid. It needs to be fairly solid for the downward action of the deflector to put the long section of the wire into torsion.

Up position:

...................................... <relative position of edge with new drilled hole
|___________[ <This is the wire

if you take the right hand end to be the one with the hooked end. Imagine you are looking down onto the roof. The left hand side is the fixed end, which needs to be held fairly solidly in place. The hook fits into the back of the hole, so when the deflector is pushed into the down position it twists the wire so it now looks like this>

Down position:

|___________
...................[..................... <relative position of edge with new drilled hole

So basically the long section of the wire is twisted through 180degrees and so wants to revert back to the top position, and that's how you get the spring action.

Incidentally the long horizontal part of the wire should sit neatly in the hollowed edge of the deflector.
I think the last line is the bit I was missing. Unfortunately I spend 11.5 hours/day commuting/working in London, so I will probably have to wait till saturday to give it another try.

Thanks for the reply. Can I suggest you repost this info in the 'How To...' forum, as I think most coupes suffer from this in the end, and its a cheap repair as long as you get the knack :)

Cheers,
-- Andrew
p.s. I might even post a few pics of my brg coupe one day now I've polished it up a bit!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,562 Posts
Well after reading the guides on here and .org i attempted to fix my 'limp' wind deflectors. For the past year i thought they where just always down for show :lol: this was not the case when a fellow member told me their purpose at trax! i felt conned by my own coupe everytime the roof was out!
Has anyone got any pictures of how the metal wire should finally sit after being cut and bent again?
Should the wire be shown or hiden in the lip of the deflector?
I have managed to make the deflector springy but it does not permanently spring up when the windows are off. a video i took shows what i mean.

?
thanks would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you've got the bend going in the wrong direction. In you video and pic you've got the bend 180 degrees out. So the natural spring action by twisting the wire is in fact making your wind deflectors spring to the down position. What you want is the bend to sit naturally with the deflector in the upright position, so that when the deflector is "forced" into the down position by the roof glass it is then under tension, which means they will pop up when the glass is taken out. Also the wire should sit neatly in the groove/edge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts