MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Well I am now the proud owner of a Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer. She has a little higher milage than I had hoped 91K but I have read they are good for a lot more than that.
My problem is I need to fit a Towbar, I can buy a Rover OEM detachable ball for £90 which sounds really cheap. However they only have the saloon version.
The guy selling thinks the fittings are the same except the detachable ball bit. He thinks if I remove a little of the underside on the bumper it will fit.
I was looking at the witter bar and you have to cut a small section away for that to fit also.
Has anyone else fitted one of these saloon bars to a Tourer ?

I can take the bar back if it won't fit so I don't have too much to lose by trying.

Thanks Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I'm not sure if it helps you but Towsure list the same bar for both Saloon and estate, so it might be worth a gamble trying the OEM one as there can't be many designs for one model
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I have recently fitted a Witter detachable to my ZT-T, I think the towbar is the same, but the fittings into the chassis rail are different. I think the tourer uses 3 bolts each side, the saloon only 2?

Not sure whether these fittings each side are model specific though.

Are you looking at the detachable oe ones on e-bay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
schwantzz said:
Hi all.
Well I am now the proud owner of a Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer. She has a little higher milage than I had hoped 91K but I have read they are good for a lot more than that.
My problem is I need to fit a Towbar, I can buy a Rover OEM detachable ball for £90 which sounds really cheap. However they only have the saloon version.
The guy selling thinks the fittings are the same except the detachable ball bit. He thinks if I remove a little of the underside on the bumper it will fit.
I was looking at the witter bar and you have to cut a small section away for that to fit also.
Has anyone else fitted one of these saloon bars to a Tourer ?

I can take the bar back if it won't fit so I don't have too much to lose by trying.


Thanks Steve.
Hello Steve
The OEM Saloon bar will not fit the tourer or TT. It is not a just matter of trimming the bumper. The fitting is actually different.
The bumper has to be trimmed in any event for the OEM version to fit the saloon.

Get one that is designed to fit the Tourer.
Regards

MM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmcomputing said:
Hello Steve
The OEM Saloon bar will not fit the tourer or TT. It is not a just matter of trimming the bumper. The fitting is actually different.
The bumper has to be trimmed in any event for the OEM version to fit the saloon.

Get one that is designed to fit the Tourer.
Regards

MM
Thanks all for help. MM - have you tried to fit on yourself? It's either the £90 Rover detachable (yes it is on Ebay but I am fairly near so would drive to pick it up tommorrow) or a fixed Witter. I can't afford a detachable at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
schwantzz said:
Thanks all for help. MM - have you tried to fit on yourself? It's either the £90 Rover detachable (yes it is on Ebay but I am fairly near so would drive to pick it up tommorrow) or a fixed Witter. I can't afford a detachable at the moment.
I presume you mean the Detachables from ECP in Sandy for 89.00. They will not fit, the fittings are quite different. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I own a detachable for my saloon but as yet have not found the time to fit it. I have seen the installation guide for the tourer. It is different, please take my word on this.

MM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
mmcomputing said:
I presume you mean the Detachables from ECP in Sandy for 89.00. They will not fit, the fittings are quite different.
I am very local to Sandy and have spoke to ECP they can only get saloon towbars. As others have said the two models use different mounting points on to the chassis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well - looks like it'll be a Witter unit then. Shame to spoil the good looks with a big ugly towbar on the rear. On the other hand it did save the bumper of my old Mondeo when a Lorry reversed into it so not all bad eh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a good look at the witter instructions and I am tempted to at least have a look at the Rover kit. I do have a fairly comprehensive workshop and the detachable unit really would be preferable. I'l let you know how I get on.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top