MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i would like some serious advice! sorry no pics but just finished and its raining now :(

i've just made my own enclosed induction kit. i currently have a 100mm diameter flexible cold air feed (reflective metal ducting from B&Q - used for venting cooker hoods). this is resting on the manifold and strapped to the top radiator pipe to keep it steady.

will the heat generated from the manifold cause either:

a) damage to the CAF tube
b) damage to the radiator pipe (although hardly any heat is transmitting through the CAF
c) an engine bay fire?

if anybody else has used this method, have you had any issues? please someone put my mind at rest!
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
It wont damage anything, maybe a few light scratches on the manifold but nothing to worry about. If I was you I would go back to standard though as you are unlikely to make and noticable gains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
It wont damage anything, maybe a few light scratches on the manifold but nothing to worry about. If I was you I would go back to standard though as you are unlikely to make and noticable gains.
perhaps, although the previous owner ditched the OE airbox and filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,045 Posts
I've had a similar setup for about 19 months, and haven't had a single problem with it. On my second CAF right enough as the first one got a little bit tatty resting on the manifold heatshield, but I suppose that's to be expected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
My 200 was fine with that setup. Ran it for around a year with no problems. The 200 has no heatshield or at least the earlier ones dont, mine was a N reg "bubble" and it didn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a hole in that CAF if it's directly on the manifold itself. The CAF is only thin aluminium and the manifold reaches extreme temperatures. Are you sure you can't manipulate the CAF away from manifold.
Best place for it is straight down after removing the airbox and resonator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Adam101 said:
Good point ashy! I forgot to mention mine was cable tied to the radiator hose.
mine is cable tied to the hose, although its 100mm diameter, so closing the bonnet is a squeeze - in other words it has no choice but to sit on the manifold.

i would like to run it straight down through where the resonater box is but i cannot remove the headlight (the popper on the wing will not come unstuck without some serious wing flexing!) :errx2: i dont want to force it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Crevice said:
mine is cable tied to the hose, although its 100mm diameter, so closing the bonnet is a squeeze - in other words it has no choice but to sit on the manifold.

i would like to run it straight down through where the resonater box is but i cannot remove the headlight (the popper on the wing will not come unstuck without some serious wing flexing!) :errx2: i dont want to force it
My feed is 75mm and I didn't need to remove the bumper or the headlight.
I simply removed both airbox and resonator. Then pushed what was left of the remaining OE air feed out of the way and managed to jam it up against the battery tray. However this got on my nerves after a bit because it didn't look to good, so I just sawed the damn thing off.
Either way I had plenty room to run the feed down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ashy said:
My feed is 75mm and I didn't need to remove the bumper or the headlight.
I simply removed both airbox and resonator. Then pushed what was left of the remaining OE air feed out of the way and managed to jam it up against the battery tray. However this got on my nerves after a bit because it didn't look to good, so I just sawed the damn thing off.
Either way I had plenty room to run the feed down.
i will take a look. will the battery need to come off?

likewise, i have cut the old air feed pipe off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ashy said:
I can't say I remember needing to remove the battery.
i just spent an hour trying to remove that resinator box. undone the 2 bolts and it fell loose, but i couldnt get the b*gger out from under the battery tray. tried every way possible but it seems the battery tray will need removing :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Crevice said:
i just spent an hour trying to remove that resinator box. undone the 2 bolts and it fell loose, but i couldnt get the b*gger out from under the battery tray. tried every way possible but it seems the battery tray will need removing :(
If I remember rightly I pulled out from underneath the car not above. I do sorta remember it being a bit fiddly but I think that's how I did it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my resonator box, couldn't get it out from the top or the bottom... gave up in the end and put it back on :indiff:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top