MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing that MGR are planning to launch a new SUV this year, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. Is this just more wild speculation? So far some people think a SUV will appear from one of the following sources:

Ssangyong
ITL/Sonalika
TATA
MGR In house project

Anyone actually know if an SUV is on the way? An if so where's it coming from?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well Rexton's have been seen coming in and out of Longbridge, not sure if that means anything. I doubt it myself as the car is already on sale in this country anyway. Don't get me started on the annoying radio advert for them where I live.

The problem MGR have is that I don't think they can do a 4x4 under the Rover badge, so it would have to be an MG. And I'm not so sure about the idea of sticking a MG badge on a 4x4.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well, the Sonalika SUV is due any day now...

It will start as a small commercial 4WD, with the SUV version out in September.

According to all the Indian press, the company are not saying much about Europe, although in reports from last year, the stories all seem to be about the car being an MG-Rover design, that Sonalika will manufacturer and that it may well be sold by MG-Rover in Europe.

I had some links for this a while ago. I'll check them out and post them again.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I fully expect MGR to launch the Rexton derived SUV within the next 12 months.

Certainly now that the Joint Venture negotiations have been completed and once the formality of the signing is out of the way on April 20th I expect MGR may well spring quite a few surprises upon us :hyper:

·
Registered
577 Posts
What's a 'Rexton', or rather, who makes it? I don't think I've seen any around my way.

If Rover do make one of these, I do hope they change the name. It makes me think of 'Rectum'.

Are Rover planning to actually make the thing, or just badge-engineer one / make it from a CKD kit?

Actually, this all makes me think of something else. The press just loce saying how poor Rover's sales are, but how many new Vauxhalls have I seen? Fiats? Alfas? Renaults? Citroens?

Pretty much nothing seems to be selling at the moment, apart from BMWs. How I hate BMW... ;)

BrianR.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Will MG make an SUV? But of course! I'll have one in super ugly with 8 MPG and optional twin vickers machine guns. I'll take delivery 'Beyond Thunderdome' if you please.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Personally, I think Rover should reopen the Zeppelin market by producing a small horse-drawn model for rural folk who can no longer go fox hunting, but I guess I'm in a minority of one on that point.

*DLN* - are you speculating or do you know something we don't? The downside of the Rexton is that it has no MG-Rover content, although this would be increased if they supplied the badge to put on the grill.

If they went the Sonalika route, they would have a car that was conceptualised and designed by MG-Rover and have MG-Rover designed engines and gearboxes.

That would make it a genuine MG-Rover car, not just something with an MG badge stuck on the front of it.

Of course, they could be planning to do both - have the MG Rexton as the premier model and the MG Sonalika as the smaller brother. That would give them a good model range within the SUV sector rather than just one model.

What I would hate to see is a Ssang Yong Rexton simply rebadged with no other changes at all. After the City Rover, that would be another wrong step.

As everyone knows, two wrongs don't make a right, but it is also true that two Wrights made an airoplane. Which brings me back to Zeppelins again...

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
boxwellm said:
Well, the Sonalika SUV is due any day now...

It will start as a small commercial 4WD, with the SUV version out in September.

According to all the Indian press, the company are not saying much about Europe, although in reports from last year, the stories all seem to be about the car being an MG-Rover design, that Sonalika will manufacturer and that it may well be sold by MG-Rover in Europe.

I had some links for this a while ago. I'll check them out and post them again.
Are there any pics of the sonalika SUV, because I havent seen any although I beleive it to be ready, and by the sounds of it MGR designed the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
boxwellm said:
If they went the Sonalika route, they would have a car that was conceptualised and designed by MG-Rover and have MG-Rover designed engines and gearboxes.

That would make it a genuine MG-Rover car, not just something with an MG badge stuck on the front of it.
Agreed, the Rexton is too heavy and has high consumption figures.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
It's also a very interesting move MGR have made in the fact that they have essentially designed an entire vehicle for another company.

Is it possible that Phoenix, post MGR/SAIC JV, are considering moving into vehicle development consultancy, much the same way pininfarina and Italdesign do.

That would be a very interesting turnaround, considering that essentially, MG Rover and it's forebearers have struggled to design their own vehicles for the best part of 20 years down to cost, but with this type of work, they can use all the expertise to design cars and never actually have to foot the bill to produce them.

I rather hope they do go down that route.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
the Sonalika SUV (not word on it being 4wd at all.....) is a 7 seater with only a very small 4 cylinder diesel engine and designed as a car for India. That makes it the SUV equivalent of the Cityrover, no matter who designed it. It's horses for courses.... if MGR design a car specifically for the budget conscious INdian market it won't be up to the expected standards of Europe. The Rexton on the other hand was designed for global export and features 100% Mercedes Benz engineering. Put simply just because MGR designed it doesn't make it a suitable car to wear the MG or Rover badge. Remember that the Allegro and Marina were British designed and engineered cars too.....

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PatrickT said:
the Sonalika SUV (not word on it being 4wd at all.....) is a 7 seater with only a very small 4 cylinder diesel engine and designed as a car for India. That makes it the SUV equivalent of the Cityrover, no matter who designed it. It's horses for courses.... if MGR design a car specifically for the budget conscious INdian market it won't be up to the expected standards of Europe. The Rexton on the other hand was designed for global export and features 100% Mercedes Benz engineering. Put simply just because MGR designed it doesn't make it a suitable car to wear the MG or Rover badge. Remember that the Allegro and Marina were British designed and engineered cars too.....
Very true, but it might provide the under pinning for something else (Tata X over perhaps??)

G

·
Rexton has little to do with Mercedes-Benz and even if it did would you want it to considering the slating they got in the AutoExpress Drivers Awards?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
PatrickT said:
True, but can we see this vehicle yet - considering Sonalika are starting manufacture in May, surely there are pics out on the web, but I cannot find any?

Anyone??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts