MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
Joined
·
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that MGR looks set to go to the wall, does this mean that Ford will attempt to secure the Rover brand from BMW? If you think about it logically baby Rover SUV's could be very viable. To be blunt even if they chose not to make Rover's they may want to secure the brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
Now that MGR looks set to go to the wall, does this mean that Ford will attempt to secure the Rover brand from BMW? If you think about it logically baby Rover SUV's could be very viable. To be blunt even if they chose not to make Rover's they may want to secure the brand.
This is a ridiculous suggestion. Ford have more than enough on their plate with Jaguar, LandRover, Volvo, Mazda et al.

Anthony.
 
G

·
Ford can't afford (pardon pun) to keep themselves going, let alone buy MGR.

They had to sell Cosworth to bail out the parent, after all.
 

·
Registered
rover_45
Joined
·
11,619 Posts
I doubt anybody will want the Rover brand. The MG one yes but as Phoenix venture holdings is not going into administration they could keep the MG brand I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35,551 Posts
Sejin26 said:
I doubt anybody will want the Rover brand. The MG one yes but as Phoenix venture holdings is not going into administration they could keep the MG brand I think.
Yes that is exactly right. I only hope that once the bones are picked over, MG can at least survive.

Patricia Hewitt and Tony Woodley said that they will be working hard to continue car production at Longbridge, whether that be with a downsized MG Rover, or whether another company buys it.

One thing I hope - I hope that SAIC didn't manage to steal anything from these negotiations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
EssexMGR said:
Yes that is exactly right. I only hope that once the bones are picked over, MG can at least survive.

Patricia Hewitt and Tony Woodley said that they will be working hard to continue car production at Longbridge, whether that be with a downsized MG Rover, or whether another company buys it.

One thing I hope - I hope that SAIC didn't manage to steal anything from these negotiations.
Remember administrators sell to the highest bidder. I doubt if anyone else wants the r60 so it will go to China.

As for Phoenix, I suspect the DTI will set up an inquiry very quickly.

Hopefully MG will be picked up by more worthy owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
Frankly, I'd rather the brand just die than let it become another Badge on another Company's portfolio.

Face it people, we have dug our own grave...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,662 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
Face it people, we have dug our own grave...
No i bought British (albeit a Land Rover) and most others aspired to or have already bought an MGR - unlike the government and 99% of the public. nothing else we could have done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,896 Posts
MG Rover Group is only part of Phoenix Venture Holdings, one option for Towers and Co. now is to continue production of the TF and ZT alongside the SV under the banner of MG Sports and Racing.

We'll all have to wait for the suggestions of Price Waterhouse & Cooper if and when they are called in.
 

·
Registered
other_rover
Joined
·
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify. If MGR went bust, then surely Rover reverts to BMW. If Rover reverts to BMW then surely Ford would want it just to stop anyone making a 4x4 called a Rover (other than themselves of course).

Rover could have a future for Ford. Maybe not for a few years but Land Rover could decied that it wants to make "offroad" cars like Audi, Volvo and Fiat (Panda). A Rover based on an X type may also save the baby Jag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Nothing can convince people the x type is anything other than a rebodied Mondeo, probably because that is what it is. I can't for the life of me see any value in Ford buying Rover. BMW signed an agreement for Rover not to build 4x4's when they flogged LandRover to Ford, so this isn't a consideration whoever produces Rover's in the future IMO.

Anthony.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,560 Posts
*DLN* said:
MG Rover Group is only part of Phoenix Venture Holdings, one option for Towers and Co. now is to continue production of the TF and ZT alongside the SV under the banner of MG Sports and Racing.

We'll all have to wait for the suggestions of Price Waterhouse & Cooper if and when they are called in.
Problem is though Dave, without MGR, how viable is the rest of PVH group?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35,551 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Problem is though Dave, without MGR, how viable is the rest of PVH group?
I think only time will tell. I think one thing we can count on is that it won't be simple. And it is all the better for that.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top