MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Probably should of asked this before buying them :O, but does anyone know if its possible to replace the front speakers in a ZS with Alpine SPS-171As? I'm concerned that the magnets will foul the window when its wound down. Would making a custom adaptor ring from mdf give enough clearance for the window but still allow the door card to fit back on?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Easy way to check - wind down the window, remove the door card and OEM speaker, and test fit the speaker. It's good practise to use a baffle ring anyway, so for the sake of a few minutes to cut out (or buy) appropriate rings, why not? Just ensure that your door card will fit back over the speaker, with no rubbing at full speaker excursion.

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definately check the depth. Best to check them against whats coming out. Front edge depth is fairly tight however you should be able to build out 5mm or so without a problem

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speakers come with adaptor rings, but these are only 5mm thick, and after testing them out today, the window stops the speaker going in. I think I need about 15 - 20mm out from the door to be safe. The back part of the speaker is 66mm quite a bit deeper than the oems.

Whats the deepest speakers you guys have managed to fit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm currently in the process of fitting Morel 6.5's in a ZS 180 and am suffering from the same problem. My next move is to take the pockets/grills off the bottom of the door panels, spacing the speakers out with MDF until the windows are free and then seeing where contact occurs when the grill/pocket is replaced. Its then going to be a matter of "jigging" whats there about or building custom covers

·
Registered
mg_zs
767 Posts
I did a custom door pod based on the old door pockets. I didn't really need to as I fitted Genesis 17cm drivers on MDF adaptor rings beforehand. I'm not sure I'd do it again because it took me way longer than I planned. I'll see if I can get some photos.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, they do fit. I customised the Honda adaptors that came with the speakers. Windows work fine and the door card fits perfick. Used some of that dynamat stuff too. Sounds so much better and the doors don't vibrate anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts