MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she has finally sold her Ford Ka:pram::URGOD: and we now have a 2000 W plate MGF in nightfire red with 65k on the clock. Better than that (and this really amazed me) she has taken to reading my car mags.:D

Now I guess here is the place to ask many questions about maintenance while she's out posing.

So here goes.

I have booked it in for a full service and CAM belt change, it has service history but is missing the receipt for the 48,000 service. The book only has a few stamps the rest are garage receipts, there no mention of belt change.
So to be on the safe side I've asked the garage to replace it. Is there anything else MGF specific I need to ask them to do?

The previous owner had a new TF radiator fitted about 2000 miles ago, all looks okay and I've checked the bleed screw on the left top of the rad, there was no air in there. Do I need to check anything else?

To keep on top of water issues especially with those water pipes running under the car I have ordered a water level sensor kit from Brown & Gammons. Does anyone else have experience with this kit?

I've been around the car and taken (with a hide mallet) each wheel off. Is it normal for them to stick on to the hub? My answer was to rub away the corrosion on the wheel and hub then apply a smear of copper slip grease to the mating surfaces. Is that the correct thing to do?

It's nice to see all the suspension joints have grease nipples, the problem is my grease gun doesn't fit them. I'm used to working on my S3 Landrover and so all my tools are geared to fit that. What size are the grease nipples on the MGF?

I think thats about it for the moment, as soon as we get another nice weekend and she's not driving it I will set about waxoyling it.

Cheers
Nathan

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

The service with the cambelt is usually including oil/coolant, and many people change the waterpump (known to leak). There is a service schedule knocking about somewhere, i'm sure someone will dig it out.

I've got the B&G coolant alarm fitted, luckily haven't heard it yet, apart from when I turn the key. Don't know enough about it as I didn't fit it, they did, though seems alright! :broon:

The wheels welding themselves to the hubs is very common, the 2 metal reacting,, first time I took mine off it was the same, did exactly what you did and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Its strange how many people come on here and say they have just bought a MGF/MGTF for their wife.
I first bought my wife one 6 years ago and then another new one for my wife or was it for me?

·
Registered
mgf
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its strange how many people come on here and say they have just bought a MGF/MGTF for their wife.
I first bought my wife one 6 years ago and then another new one for my wife or was it for me?

Sssshhhh.

I rather like it as well ;)

Cheers Loaky, looks like I'm doing it correct so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts