MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If MG-Rover employ 6000 workers at Longbridge to make about 80,000 cars and Peugeot employ 2800 workers at Ryton to make 180,000 cars, what do all those Longbridge workers do?

No wonder there will be job losses if the SAIC deal goes through.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Longbridge is also the home of Powertrain which employs over 1000, also don't forget that Longbridge is also the International HQ and many of the 6000 positions will be in sales, admin, finance, marketing etc.
Don't forget R & D at Longbridge!

This is the same issue that was discussed a while ago when comparing the "productivity" of Nissan's Sunderland plant with Longbridge: it isn't fair just to look at the number of cars produced and divide it by the number of employees on that site.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Some departments within Longbridge are actually understaffed.

The R&D department is currently bolstered by 200 SAIC staff from China and MGR are currently recruiting more employees to work in R&D.

I'm not exactly sure how many people work within MGR R&D but they are currently working flat out on the RD60, Rexton, 75 Coupe, TF GT, 75 interior, 25 reskin, TF facelift etc.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Macaroni said:
If MG-Rover employ 6000 workers at Longbridge to make about 80,000 cars and Peugeot employ 2800 workers at Ryton to make 180,000 cars, what do all those Longbridge workers do?

No wonder there will be job losses if the SAIC deal goes through.
You have a good point, but Longbridge make about 110,000 to 120,000 cars. I know it's still less, but 30,000 more than 80,000 so still substantial. Also, Longbridge is making 4 different models, 25,45, 75 and TF (including any derivatives) There will be extra manpower simply resulting from that, whereas a single production line can be more efficient to run as at Ryton.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
cityrover said:
There will be extra manpower simply resulting from that, whereas a single production line can be more efficient to run as at Ryton.
Sunderland is going to be running 4 different models shortly: micra, almeria, primera and 4x4. And its still the most effecient plant in Europe. Longbridge is very old and it seems to be difficult to match modern plant outputs however much they try.

·
Registered
310 Posts
xerif said:
Sunderland is going to be running 4 different models shortly: micra, almeria, primera and 4x4. And its still the most effecient plant in Europe. Longbridge is very old and it seems to be difficult to match modern plant outputs however much they try.
Not too long before BMW pulled the plug on MGR, someone I know at Longbridge who spoke a little German was talking to a BMW engineer who was installing equipment in the body-in-white area.
This German who was a nice guy, and spoke English pretty well anyway, made the point that the equipment he was installing in Longbridge was already being scrapped in BMW factories elsewhere for more modern and efficient machines.
Looking back, what just seemed a bit strange at the time now seems to have a certain logic if the decision to shut Longbridge had already been made (as eventually announced at the R75 launch).
In any case it highlights MGR's present difficulty in producing cars efficiently compared with plants like Nissan and Toyota, when some of MGR's production line was in part, obsolete, even as it was being installed.

·
Premium Member
31,534 Posts
Not really true brit - the main problem with production at Longbridge is the age of the 25 / 45 line & the methods use to build the TF. The 75 line that was transferred from Cowley was state of the art and is a sight to behold (as people will see on Thursday!)

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
It's stuff like that that concerns ma about RD60 more than anything else. To make a car that competes with Golf and Focus etc, it needs to be built to the same standards. Which means they will have to invest in better painting techniques and assembly technology, and that costs money.

BMW are already epanding and improving the Paint shops for MINI?

Having said that, 25 are thrown down a ageing production line, and come out as good and probably better than any 206 - so there's a balance somewhere, just how up to date does technology really need to be before you lose the benefits in all the costs.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Not really true brit - the main problem with production at Longbridge is the age of the 25 / 45 line & the methods use to build the TF. The 75 line that was transferred from Cowley was state of the art and is a sight to behold (as people will see on Thursday!)
Damn and blast - still annoyed I couldnt go, but I went last time Steve and I have to say the 75 was impressive, they didn't show much of the 25/45 line though, only bit I saw was when the painted and assembled cars were being finished off. What's the difference really between them - have you seen ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm no engineer Steve but I can absolutely assure you this conversation took place in the Body-in-White area.
I don't know if it was the 75 line which was being discussed or replacement machinery on the 25/45 production but the German engineer actually said the machinery he was installing was being ripped out in Germany.
I can certainly get more information to narrow down which parts of the track were under discussion.
Edit: To be fair, if it was the 25/45 track then this was due for early replacement anyway so stop-gap machinery might be acceptable - trouble is it's still there.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I'm no engineer Steve but I can absolutely assure you this conversation took place in the Body-in-White area.

A huge generalisation I appreciate, but in my experience German industrialists have an absolute knack for talking complete nonsense... in essence, if it is in Germany it must be better than anything anywhere else in the world. The reality is of course very different ;)

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how many people work within MGR R&D but they are currently working flat out on the RD60, Rexton, 75 Coupe, TF GT, 75 interior, 25 reskin, TF facelift etc.[/QUOTE]

Rexton??? I'm sorry, have I missed out on something here - what has the Rexton got to do with all this? Don't tell me it's going to be re-badged as an MGR product!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
jhamling said:
I'm not exactly sure how many people work within MGR R&D but they are currently working flat out on the RD60, Rexton, 75 Coupe, TF GT, 75 interior, 25 reskin, TF facelift etc.

Rexton??? I'm sorry, have I missed out on something here - what has the Rexton got to do with all this? Don't tell me it's going to be re-badged as an MGR product![/QUOTE]

Seems likely as an MG.

As a passionate hater of chelsea tractors (why not go the whole hog and get an HGV truck) I have seen a few rextons around and read a few reviews.. it ain't bad looking and has good reviews.. 4x4 market is one of the fastest growing sectors as well.. so business wise its a good idea, tho i hate to say it..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it ain't bad looking and has good reviews..

IT IS HIDEOUS!!

I think it is a crying shame that the firm who used to own Land Rover are having to plunder 2nd rate Korean 4x4 hardware, but there you go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.