1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....

over to you lot.

I'm an enthusiast - I have 10k burning a hole in my pocket......

Why should I spend it with MGR and not take my trade elsewhere? What do they have to offer me over any other company?

views and opinions please.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
It's difficult as I'm in a similar position. If I had to have another MGR (which I'd like) it'd be a TF or a cheap my04 ZS with the 180 kit. But, neither of these are exactly what I'm after and I find myself looking at options and being completely unexcited by them. At the moment what ticks most boxes is a 12 year old Merc E300 Cabrio, but I want a newer car than I already have. I keep asking myself: "What's got 4 seats, no roof, looks good and isn't going to lose me a shed load of money over a year or two...?"

Depends what sort of car you're after, I suppose - I keep being tempted by a Honda Integra Type R in Championship White in completely standard trim, but then I enjoy beetling around country lanes. If you're constantly trundling up and down motorways it's probably not the best thing to use. For that reason I also keep thinking about Jag XJRs - can pick up some damned nice examples for £10k - but I know it's going to lose most of the money I spend on it over a couple of years...

If you want a used supersaloon bargain though - there's a Lotus Carlton in Bracknell on Autotrader... £8995. But beware - a mate of mine was looking at Lotus Carltons before he got his Skyline and found out that an engine rebuild can cost up to £10k in itself... :yikes:

I could go on for ages about what you can and cannot get for £10k and how it'd compare (IMO) with the competition - at the end of the day you need to tell us a bit more about what you need your new car to do (other than ferry you from A to B) ;)

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
empsburna said:
So....

over to you lot.

I'm an enthusiast - I have 10k burning a hole in my pocket......

Why should I spend it with MGR and not take my trade elsewhere? What do they have to offer me over any other company?

views and opinions please.
If after almost 2000 posts you don't know the answer to your own question, then I don't think we can convince you. BTW Didn't you just take the factory tour?

·
Registered
373 Posts
10 Grand?

You could buy used any of the current MGR range, including a 75 or MGZT. Or an MG ZS 180.

If they don't really excite you, then you probably should test drive one.

You might also consider an 820 Vitesse Coupe or a 1989 Range Rover CSK. 10 Grand might even get you an MGR V8. It would definitely get you a Triumph Stag or a Rover 3500 Vitesse with money to spare (for repairs!).

Got to be someting there to tickle your fancy?

·
Registered
446 Posts
iaan said:
10 Grand?

You could buy used any of the current MGR range, including a 75 or MGZT. Or an MG ZS 180.

If they don't really excite you, then you probably should test drive one.

You might also consider an 820 Vitesse Coupe or a 1989 Range Rover CSK. 10 Grand might even get you an MGR V8. It would definitely get you a Triumph Stag or a Rover 3500 Vitesse with money to spare (for repairs!).

Got to be someting there to tickle your fancy?
I've got to ask the question, you are an enthusiast so why shouldn't you buy an MGR product?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stephen K. Hone said:
If after almost 2000 posts you don't know the answer to your own question, then I don't think we can convince you. BTW Didn't you just take the factory tour?
Yes Stephen, I did go on the tour, and I know what I want, but I would like to know why other people would continue to buy from them, or for a first time customer what bit extra would actually sell it to them, i'm not questioning my own love of the brand, just interested in what made other people choose the viking ship (or indeed that octagon of love) ;)

The current hit list for me is...

BRM - understated hot hatch, subtle but in your face if needs be, but getting difficult to find a clean example. went to look at one on friday and it was awful. twas a high insurance group too - I refuse to spend more than £800 a year

ZS - Fantastic, again understated, but another no-no insurance wise in any decent engine size/spec (ah the joys of being 21!)

75 - lovely drive, refined, in price range and insurance is roughly £556 fully comp!!

I was after peoples views on why I should buy one, come on, sell them to me!

PS - @ iian - I've been looking at a late, clean (IIRC it was a 1983) on 85k miles, SD1 3500 vitty. it made me sex wee - but I could never justify spending 5k on the car, £700 to insure it as a limited mileage classic and then roughly £70 a week in petrol to do my usual commute :(

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I get around to replacing my 220SDi probably next summer ('06), I'll be going for a 75/ZT CDTi - there's nothing else in its price range that's even close IMO.

Having said that, my employer would much rather that I drive a Ford product, and I find myself getting strangely drawn towards an Ovlov S60 D5 - the engine is streets ahead of the BMW unit in the 75...

Andy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Heh - I would, but for the amount they pay they're pretty much entitled to ask things like that...

It's not a rule as such, but they give us some quite hefty incentives to drive FoMoCo products. Mind you - I'd only ever drive a UK built Ford, which just about restricts me to Jag/LR

Andy

·
Registered
947 Posts
empsburna said:
The current hit list for me is...

BRM - understated hot hatch, subtle but in your face if needs be, but getting difficult to find a clean example. went to look at one on friday and it was awful. twas a high insurance group too - I refuse to spend more than £800 a year
But there are some clean examples out there ;) :dddc:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think that you should step back and just look at the design excellence of MGR cars in comparison to the competition. They are all brilliant looking. I'm 21, and if I wasnt an impoverished student :=p: I would be getting a lovely ZR Trophy with all the bells and whistles. The interior looks the dogs ********, as well as the exterior of course, with those lovely snake-eyes rear clusters.

You should be able to negotiate some good discounts, or even use the excellent offer on this very forum.

Then just enjoy being 21, and having a great head turning (and fast) car.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Get a ZR trophy 105.

1. They go like nothing else.
2. They are smart inside.
3. On rails handling.
4. Smarter than anything else. The C2 is a roll your own *** tin.
5. You'll get a good deal. Maybe SE and metallic for the money. Drive a deal.
6. Its an MG.
7. Its a car you'll turn and look at every time you get out.
8. Go for xpower or black.
9. You'll grin ear to ear round every bend.

Either that or a second hand TF. Same as above but sunshine. Me i'll take both.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, i'm going to do myself no favours here... but... I dont really like the ZR :( I just find it a bit too brash for me, and as for 105 horses, nah, i'l wait until they smash the 200 barrier first, then I will consider one :)

I prefer subtle, and I need a bit more room that there is in a ZR, my 200 lacks space, and I can see the Z being no better.

I like the refinement of the 75 too :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
So I'm thinking that what you're actually after is the ZS150 with the 1.8 turbo engine in...

That's the one I'd want too.

:sad2:

G

·
MGR will produce one off specials. A mate has just ordered a Streetwise van and they don't exist, so why not a ZS 160 (with 1.8 Turbo)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd love a ZS - insurance is too much, and for what you get i'd go for a 75, 18's and suspension off a ZT - nice and stiff but comfortable.

couldnt afford to insure a ZT - well, i could, as long as I didnt drive it anywhere!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Diesel45 said:
I've got to ask the question, you are an enthusiast so why shouldn't you buy an MGR product?
You mean me?

Good question.

I bought my car five years ago, and since then I haven't really had the money to change it. I live abroad and I can't get a loan here, so whatever I buy, it has to be cash.

So...basically...err...poverty!

(I'm also a CAR enthusiast as well as an MGR enthusiast, and I am very smitten with my Nissan!).

So...err...I'm a bit of a hypocrite, too. :ts:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts