MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the only place on the 600 where there is a rust problem in the leading edge of the rear wheel arches. Does anyone have any ideas why they go like they do? I suspect that the rust starts on the inside and that water somehow gets in and collects there?

B

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It's because Rover never offered us that particular replacement panel :(

MGJohn directed me to the Honda Accord sedan panels from the USA when mine went scabby.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing two panels of that size sounds like an expensive thing to do and it that doesn't cure the underlying problem.
It has to be a water trap problem of some kind

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replacing two panels of that size sounds like an expensive thing to do, especially when it is such a small area and nor does it cure the underlying problem. It has to be a water trap problem of some kind

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,015 Posts
I was always under the impression its because of the sunroof drains, the ones on my ti where leaking having become blocked, leaving water in the boot which inevitably turns to rust, always keep an eye on them as leaves and all manner of things you dont think would get in there manages to

Another area these like to go is under the front floor, there are 4 rubber bungs (2 each side) underneath the car roughly at the front of the driver and passenger doors next to the jacking points, these hold crap in too and they rust through this area

Another semi-common area i have found is around the rear windscreen, remove the chrome trim and rubber surround and all the clips along the bottom of the window are most likely hiding rust

The rear arches are by far the worst area for rot though

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is the sunroof - my 620SLi doesn't have one. But I feel sure that water gets trapped inside the body panels and the rust goes through to the outside, which means that there's no real way of avoiding it. After repair as best possible with filler, ensuring that there's a drain hole might help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts