MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be VERY GRATEFUL is some kind person could help me on a problam i have with my Rover 414.

Its an (R) reg, can't remember what year it is, but its the one with the dodgy which i believe is referred to as a 'K' Series engine - it has a black top. I purchased the Rover on 70,000 miles and it had previously had its Head Gasket changed by MG Rover.

I have now clocked up 115,000 miles and the coolant has started boiling up and eventually runs out of the top of the water bottle. My wife 'mainly' drives this car, and the problems started yesterday morning. She was on her way to work along the motorway and steam started coming from the bonnet.

She managed to get to a water source and filled the bottle up with more water. Then yesterday evening it all started again. I (originally) thought it might have been due to her loosing coolant, so i poured a whole bottle of the stuff in and then poured a load of water in afterwards. However, about 5 minutes later the water started bubbling up again and coming out of the water tank. I've spoken to a bloke and he said he reckons its the head gasket or the thermostat. But, he said if it was the thermostat then the top of the rad wouldn't be getting hot? It would be cold? ALL the pipes in the coolant system are boiling hot - you can't even tough them, and when it starts boiling over out of the coolant tank you can here the hoses all bubbling - even as far around as the radiator. The radiator i replaced about 1 year ago as it started leaking from the bottom, and there are no more leaks in the system now. Does anybody know what it could be? I would be VERY reluctant to pay out for the head gasket to be changed if it wasn't this?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
I dont think its the head gasket which should put your mind at rest. Im more likely to think it would be the coolant tempreture sensor which is not allowing the coolant fan on, coupled with the fact that the engine hasnt been bled properly after you filled it back up with coolant. Does the radiator fan turn on at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
I dont think its the head gasket which should put your mind at rest. Im more likely to think it would be the coolant tempreture sensor which is not allowing the coolant fan on, coupled with the fact that the engine hasnt been bled properly after you filled it back up with coolant. Does the radiator fan turn on at all?
Hi Phil, thanks for your reply:)

I've heard the fan come on twice last night when looking at the engine - but it only stayed on for about 1 minute each time.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Ok well in that case I would say you have a faulty thermostat which isnt opening fully causing the engine to overheat.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Yeah coolant expansion tank cap is the first thing to replace. When you changed the radiator and filled up with coolant did you bleed the system?

I would say that your head gasket has not gone and is infact fine, but I strongly recommend that you do not drive the car untill it is sorted. If it over heats or runs out of coolant then the head gasket could go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rover_King said:
Yeah coolant expansion tank cap is the first thing to replace. When you changed the radiator and filled up with coolant did you bleed the system?

I would say that your head gasket has not gone and is infact fine, but I strongly recommend that you do not drive the car untill it is sorted. If it over heats or runs out of coolant then the head gasket could go.
Haven't bled the system - so could try that - but just phoned Rover about a price on a pressure cap and the guy said he doesn't think it would be that as they arn't pressure caps? He got one out of stock and said it hasn't got a pipe running into it - i then said that my cap hasn't got a pipe running into it either - so he said they have a pipe on pressure caps so that any excess pressure escapes from the tank? Is this correct?

I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES:URGOD:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,286 Posts
I don’t think he knows what he is talking about. I could be wrong but all K-series engines that I have come across have a valve in the top of the cap that vents to atmosphere and have no extra pipe. Go to your local motor factors or even Halfords I am sure that they will be happy to help.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
First port of call is to get that coolant system vacuum filled and for all the price of a new expansion tank cap I'd change that too.

How hot and how often have you allowed the engine to overheat, because it's a possibility that you could have damaged the head gasket, unfortunately.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ive just had a lok at my exp tank cap on a rover 45 and its a solid yellow fitting with no sigh of a pressure valve?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris T said:
I don’t think he knows what he is talking about. I could be wrong but all K-series engines that I have come across have a valve in the top of the cap that vents to atmosphere and have no extra pipe. Go to your local motor factors or even Halfords I am sure that they will be happy to help.
Do you reckon i could get one from Halfords then?

What could have happened with the existing one?

I've booked the car into be checked by a Rover technician on Tuesday for a cost of £35.00 - but if i can get the matter resolved for the cost of a new cap then obviously i would rather take that route.

Are there any checks they can do to eliminate the head gasket? The guy on the phone said that normally oil mixes with the coolant - but he said the technician he spoke to said that depending on the location the gasket has gone - there could be pressure flowing back into the coolant system which is causing the problem?

Another thing he said is this:- I've got the main coolant run/tube coming out of the bottom of the expansion tank - however, i've also got a really small tube going into the top of the tank. He said that the smaller tube is coming back from the system, and the bigger tube is taking it out - which i knew about the bigger tube - however, he said that if there is hot water coming back through the smaller tube then it most probably would be the head gasket, as it should be cool water coming back - is this the case? The problem i've got is the car isn't at my house - as its undriveable in its present state - so i'm going to travel to the car - probably tommorrow morning and do some checks - is there any checks you guys could recommend in order to eliminate things?

Also - he said its possible that the thermostat could have gone, the ECU could have gone and is therefore not telling the fan to switch on - however the fan has been on twice last night - however only for a minute or so each time.

I'm totally confused and lost as to what to do:(

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,286 Posts
First thing to do it get a new cap, as it’s the cheapest and wont do any extra harm if it’s not the problem. There is a pressure relief valve under the cap this can fail open so the coolant system will not pressurise. The result of this is the coolant will boil at a much lower temperature then it would if pressurised.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,286 Posts
I am assuming the cap is the same on the 45; the valve is on the inside of the cap so you will need to remove the cap to see it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts