MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, the ThumpBuggy is dropped about 50mm on Leda springs and dampers, with an OMP front strut-brace and Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber all round, and as you would imagine normally handles like it's on rails. However, for the past while the handling has felt guff - the body roll seems to be worse, and the car sometimes feels like it's on ice! The ride also seems to be even harsher than it was before.

Now, the inside of my (brand new) tires are worn a bit... I presume that means my tracking is out? Could this be the sole reason for the feeling of insecurity I get when taking corners? Or could there be an other reason, e.g. deteriorating bushes etc.?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,052 Posts
I think Steve B reccomended me upgrading the bushes or whatever on mine when i said i felt my handling was rubbish, but then again i only have springs.

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been thinking about upgrading them for a while, but up until now I've never really had a reason.

Reasonably cheap upgrade though, especially if I do it myself :)

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
ThumpJunkie said:
Anyone care to input any useful ideas, instead of crap such as above? :bored:
Won't hurt to get your tracking looked at. May well be something simple as that.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skelo said:
Won't hurt to get your tracking looked at. May well be something simple as that.

Cheers
Skelo
Problem is the bumper... it has to be removed to get the tracking done, however since the bumper has started to crack due to horrendous workmanship when it was fitted (which I have been trying to get them to fix since NOVEMBER!!! :mad: ), no garage is willing to remove it :(

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Because it isn't a ZS. Seriously. No independent rear suspension. Derived suspension from a Maestro will not produce superb handling despite what anyone else will say (what ever you change). It will always be a little agricultural in comparison to ZS and ZT. Don't get me wrong it isn't bad but won't ever be superb.

Anthony.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
You say inside of tyres worn-is that just the fronts, or all four?

If fronts, then you are 'towing out' and the tracking needs bringing back in a couple of degrees. What tracking gauges are the garage using? and why does the bumper cause an issue?

The tracking gauges should clamp to the lip of the rim near the tyre wall, the front leg passing past the front wing, well clear, and the optics across the front of the car-that's what the Dunlop gauge does, the same as used by pit crews afaik. I had a set myself some years ago.

Dropping 50mm will also screw the suspension geometry and will cause premature tyre wear due to the change in angles from standard. This should have been explained when you purchased the drop kit. To counteract this, revised geometry arms and legs can be bought to give adjustment.

When track cars are dropped-to give a lower centre of gravity-the suspension is also modified to achieve negative camber, this is also adjustable to suit whatever track being raced on. When driving hard through fast corners the impetus is put on getting as bigger a footprint as possible on the tarmac to get the optimum grip.

Sounds like the set up is far too hard for the lightness of your buggy and that is why it seems skitish.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
anthony said:
Because it isn't a ZS. Seriously. No independent rear suspension. Derived suspension from a Maestro will not produce superb handling despite what anyone else will say (what ever you change). It will always be a little agricultural in comparison to ZS and ZT. Don't get me wrong it isn't bad but won't ever be superb.

Anthony.
my ZR out handles a ZS

it was pon a full Coilover setup im sorry mate

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
anthony said:

Anthony.

Sorry matey that is complete crap.

The R8 has the same rear suspension as a ZS, ie fully independent. And believe me a Maestro could easily outhandle it.

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People, the car used to handle like it was on rails, the poor handling is only a recent occurence... there is £1000 worth of suspension upgrades on the car which were designed specifically for the ZR, so it's nothing to do with the setup.

Anthony, ask anyone who's seen the car in action or been in it and they'll tell you that you're slavering crap.

Gav, yes the wheels are balanced mate.

Stamford, stiffened suspension should surely only effect the outside of the tyres though? As for the the gauges the garage are using I'm unsure, but they assured me in order to carry the task out the bumper would have to come off.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
lower car and lower profile tyres means more of the weight will be on the inside of the tire it will tend to wear the inside edges out faster, and knocks or clunks over uneven roads??

I'd be anglig for bushes but if the car feels nervous on the road, normally I've found the shocks to be the problem, worth checking but realistically it wont be them

andy

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AndBurG said:
lower car and lower profile tyres means more of the weight will be on the inside of the tire it will tend to wear the inside edges out faster, and knocks or clunks over uneven roads??

I'd be anglig for bushes but if the car feels nervous on the road, normally I've found the shocks to be the problem, worth checking but realistically it wont be them

andy
The shocks have only done 15k mate.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
ThumpJunkie said:
The shocks have only done 15k mate.
doesn't mean they're ok, give them a check, its not unknown for parts to come out of a factory broke or to fail quickly, manufacturing tolerances see to that

1 - 20 of 43 Posts