MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

Ok my car has always made this strange crying noise since new, I've heard a few of the 200 wedge shapped cars doing it. It does it when it's turned off. (Even with the battery disconnected) It's like a sad cow type noise? and lasts for about 3 seconds.

Is it something to do with the pressure in the fuel tank being released?

I'm just curious what makes the noise?

Many thanks!

p.s My car is a 214 (1992)

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikeM said:
Sounds like an air con howl-if you have air con?

Mike
Nope, car doesnt have air con. It usually does it after it's been out and has just come back. Then it does it about three times over the next 20 or so minutes.

I swear hes just crying to go back out! :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
hi mate, yes my wedge shape 214 used to do it, really strange I know even with everything turned off,

it always made me wonder what it could be, glad its not just me!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
mine ticks very quickly after I turn it off, which is the stepper motor resetting I believe

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if there is a breather of some sort of the fuel tank or pump or something that is operated by pressure. It can't be electrical because it still does even if you dont have the battery connected.

Someone must know... I've heard loads of them do it! (only the wedge shape ones, never heard a bubble do it) :confused:

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on folks you can do better than this, someone must know! It's been doing it again today and is driving me mad not knowing whats doing it?!

·
Registered
mg_zt
36 Posts
I seem to remember the heater controls are operated by engine vacuum. Sounds like they are relaxing when the vacumm is slowly lost. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts