Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 25 21.6%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are quite a few (cut) Lovely People (cut) on this Forum nowadays and indeed in this Country that seem to have a sole goal in this life to bring MG-R down in any possible way. Be it bad mouthing on the Internet, or publishings in the press.

But one thing I would like to know is why? Why do they want to bring a once great Company down that acts as a base of employment for so many people, just so they can have food on the table... Are people that sadistic?

This is why I ask you... Why? Why do you feel this way? Take this as an opportunity to open your heart to the Forums.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Other.

They believe what they're told and since no one told anyone the cars are not BL tin traps anymore, everyone continues to believe the cars are useless.

So they tell others this.

Then more are told and so it goes on...

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
when my mates at uni ask what car i got, when you say Rover, they instantly say oooh head gasket failure, its the one thing that alot of peeps seem to know about and i bet they wouldnt even know what a head gasket is! Even though i drive a honda powered Rover.
It is very true about what people think about the cars, even though most of them haven't even driven or owned one.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Because it was once a state-owned/subsidised/operated company, and press always take delight in bringing them down, be it trains, planes, or indeed automobiles.
Add in the fact that its a British company in trouble, the press are on a high - god help dyson if they ever start loosing lots of money.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
How do any of us explain the total contrast between a Jeremy clarckson that says he loves our industrial heritage,and the same man who has **** on the British motor industry (unless its a jag or Bentley or Aston martin) while loving the american owned ford motor company they both employ british workers (he hates the yanks or so he says) Or loving the B*W OR mercs or...... lets face it the entire motoring press has enjoyed slagging our car industry off for years it makes you wonder how many back handers go on, we all know what we think of our cars, are they really suggesting that we cant make good cars? Plenty of foreign manufacturers enjoy success over here with british workforces, and by the journos own admission, british designers are the among the best in the world, so if we can design a good product and make a good product how come when we do it ourselves they slag us off.I had a brand new mk5 cortina 2.0Ghia built in germany which liked a good `rest`for no reason when out on the motorway,but they were still regarded as the `best` by the industry journos,when I bought a rover1.6vanden plas EFI it never let me down ran well economical, and all I read in the mags and papers was it was`rough`and `harsh`its a national pastime slagging off britain but when they have finished they wax lyrical about the demise of the British car industry the word `hypocrites`springs to mind!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I voted other because I feel the slagging off is only in the UK, therefore it a British problem, a certain pleasure in rubbishing local things. It is as if the British think that to support local product makes you a **** and knocking it smart. The British need to get over it and have some pride in things British. I'm sure I preach to the the converted (except Mega) at this site, however.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Other- there is an element of Brit-bashing that always takes place, but this seems especially vindictive. To an extent the company can't answer back (a bit like Royalty!) and this would be a BIG story that can run for months if it all comes to nothing. The journalists are seeing the power they have (dwindling sales) and smell victory. Its just a game to them.

So what if the models are old or they see no real future for MG-R? They could sit by and watch it gently fail- there's no reason to actually try and speed up the process other than spite.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some people are more concerned about a few minutes of grubby s***-stirring than about the futures and livelihoods of thousands of W.Midlands families.

If the worst should happen, then the complicity of the media in the fate of those W.Midlands people should be highlighted. It's the very worst kind of @I'm alright Jack' attitude.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Whatever happens from all of this, one things is certain, MG Rover will struggle for years in the UK to boost it's image. These reports over the last 12-18 months have all but destroyed any credibility the company had.

Until a new model arrives, or rather if a new model arrives, sales will never recover. As the UK is MG Rover's main market, it's clear what SAIC's concerns are. Without UK sales MG Rover really is a dead duck and I understand why they may be concerned that MG Rover will not be able to sustain itself through the period until they introduce a new model.

MG Rover need to come out to the public today with the new car, they really need to say "look, this is what we have been working on, look how good it is, MG Rover need to build this car, please support us!"

If they don't then I have to say I am not gettinggood vibes from all of this, I think what may in fact be happening is that MG Rover have sold all their assets to the chinese already and the plan always was to close, or at least that may be the way SAIC have viewed it.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
All the fears at the moment are about MGR's long term survival. When the JV gets signed, this will put those fears to bed - but I agree, all this crap isn't going to help MGR's sales in the mean time. The quicker the deal is signed, the quicker new metal starts rolling out, the better. However, I fear its going to put with with a few weeks of crap for the former and then a few months for the latter.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
StreetBoy said:
I dont think anyone does want MGR to fail. They slag it off like they slag off an England manager...
Problem is that you do get the feeling that the press want it to fail so they can say 'I told you so....'

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I don't want MGR to fail, but they will unfortunately if a deal is not done. They desperately needed new cars, and not facelifts, and unfortunately they are in such dire straits financially that this will not be possible without the JV. Everyone seems to say it will be signed but if MGR debts are greater than SAIC want to be saddled with then it won't go ahead. The Goverment will only help MGR if it can be proved they can pay the money back, which looks increasing unlikely.

Steve

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think to be honest the press don't like the Phoenix 4. The pensions business was the start of the rot, and one paper said recently they may have got as much as £40m out of it. Now that's undoubtably rubbish, but the bloke in the street reads it and thinks - 'they got that out of it and the company's gone nowhere - well [email protected] them then'

it's the workers I feel sorry for - one bloke interviewed on BBC breakfast news said ' I just want to retire.. We're all just fed up in there (pointing at factory).

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I don't want MGR to fail either, but I am a realist, and at the minute i think they are going to.

This JV is taking faaaaaaar to long to sort out, even for the chinese and that's not a good sign. Things aren't getting better for MGR from the outside and the longer any company has to think about what they are about to take on then the more likely they are to step down (in a situation such as this).

They will only take on a deal like this if they can, within reasonable certainty, make it a profitable decision.

I'm not saying the deals not going to happen, cos like everyone else on here i don't know either way. I can only have my own opinion and at the minute I'm not overly optimistic.

What i'd like to know is, why is everyone else on here so blindingly certainy things are gonna be just fine? Is it just the typical British "Oh everything will be ok, let's have a cup of tea"?, faith brought on by dedication to their loved company? or is everyone just hopeless optimists?

That's not meant as offence and is a serious question, i hope in 5 years time MGR are still around and doing well but I won't be shocked if they aren't.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Schtopper said:
That's not meant as offence and is a serious question, i hope in 5 years time MGR are still around and doing well but I won't be shocked if they aren't.
TBH it would not shock me at all if they werent trading next month let alone in 5 years, but nor would it be a shock if the JV was signed and all was well.

I just cant stand the interim period of waiting.

It may be that in a few months we will sadly all join the long line of former British motoring institution enthusiasts and go on to lead fulfilling lives driving our Rover/MG's and visiting club events and restoring them in 20-30 years time, just like all the Austin, MOrris, Triumph, Singer, Hillman etc etc etc etc etc supporters have had to face before us, every one never believing that their beloved marque would succumb. Sad but true. Let's face it guys, in 1952, when Austin Morris ruled the UK and we globally quite dominant, would people have believed that in only 30 years neither would exist.

We just need to prepare ourselves I think, because it's safe to say that this really is the final chance for survival, there are no white knights this time, and public sympathy has wained considerably, the brand images are at their lowest ebb ever, and the company doesnt even have assets anymore, longbridge is no longer their own --- you get the picture.

I am not predicting their demise, just saying that if ever it was going to happen, it's going to be within the next month.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
The UK press are a strange lot. They love stiring things up and creating divisions and clashes where they don't exist. The result is businesses are belittled and reputations destroyed for no reason whatsoever other than the chance of better viewer ratings and newpaper numbers.

Lets ignore MG-Rover for a moment - they've had it bad, but to be fair their weakness in public relations in the past has not helped them one bit. Look at Parliment. In the desire to create cheap news, journalists pitch everything in a confrontational style, trying to get one MP to say something different to the party leadership, or one MP to argue with an MP from another party. This is plainly daft - parliment isn't all one big bun fight, but the net result is that the general public think it is, and get disallusioned with politics. The danger with that is that if the general public get switched off by politics, it allows extremists to get a foothold. Which is why the very far right parties are appearing on the road map. In five years time, there will be BMP members of parliment in the United Kingdom and the trotskys will be on the rise again...

In my opinion, the full blame for this can be laid at the feet of the British media. Thing is, I believe the public are getting fed up with this too, which means sooner or later there will be a backlash. What that backlash will be, I have no idea, but I think that newspapers and TV programs will be very different in ten years time to what they are today...

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Is it just me or did anyone else notice that this story blew up on the same day that 5 Labour Party councillers in Birmingham were convicted of electoral fraud on a massive scale?

Without wanting to get too political, this is the same government that identified 9/11 as the ideal opportunity to manipulate the press... :err:

John

1 - 20 of 56 Posts