MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just registered and drive a Rover 75 Classic SE CDT 2202 Reg with 48k miles. Whist queueing for the Dover Ferry last Saturday my car made this awful whooping noise. It's not happened before or since. Should I be worried? What simple checks can I make to diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It will be your fan motor at fault causing your aircon to overheat whilst stood in traffic.Turn on your ignition and put aircon to lowest setting, goto front of car and check if fan is turning.
If it is not, then most likely your fan motor is at fault.

I had exactly same fault on mine, just changed motor today.
Its a very common fault, motors seem to fail after 50000-60000 miles.
Fan motor cost me £200 and Fan cost £40(Got to discard old fan once its been removed from motor) Took me about 3hrs to fit. You have to dismantle front of car inc. removing bumper, front crossmember and bonnet locking platform.
Sorry for bad news!
Oh, and welcome to forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right. Fan does not turn as you suggested. Is it safe to drive with the air con off or will the engine overheat if stood in traffic?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're right. Fan does not turn as you suggested. Is it safe to drive with the air con off or will the engine overheat if stood in traffic?
Engine is unlikely to overheat(as diesel engines run alot cooler than petrol), but keep an eye on gauge if weather is very very hot.
Aircon will work fine whilst car is in motion, as airflow will cool condensor radiator. But when stuck in traffic turn aircon off.

Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts