·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In laymans terms can someone please explain who owns the following :

The MG Brand
The Rover Brand
The rights to produce the MG range of cars
The rights to produce the Rover range of cars?

I've read in places that SAIC own the MG brand...is this right.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Nope, SAIC were going to buy MG for £50m, but it never transpired.

BMW owns the Rover name, but I can't see them holding it for that much longer tbh.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The MG trademark is owned by MG Rover Group, at least going by the most recent details.
The Rover trademark is owned by BMW.
The design rights for all the MG and Rover models, plus the MG GT, 75 Coupé and the TCV are all registered to MG Rover Group, but some (the BBC have been saying the 75 and 25) may have been sold outright, or licensed, to SAIC.
We don't know for sure.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
However, I'm led to beleive that SAIC can't make any of the cars, because it doesn't have the equipment to do so. In your faces SAIC!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if MG Rover were to dissapear (go bust), legally, who would own the MG brand? PVH? or could PVH buy the brand or maybe one of its other companies buy the brand?

G

·
No becuase most of the assets are owned by PVH not MG Rover Group. There is a big difference between the two.

Engineering and Designs for the sports cars, Nexus, G and H series engines exist but whether PVH or MGR own them I do not know

·
Registered
101 Posts
So we all believe everything the BBC tells us now do we? If it wasn't for their best efforts over the last week we might not be in this situation and now they are just trying to finish the job by destroying any confidence that there could be a rescue.

As far as I know nobody knows that the designs have been sold to SAIC. Why would anybody in their right mind do that? A licensing arrangement sure, but not sell them. If it turns out that this has been done then MGR is finished because a car company with no models is a bit short of options. All that will happen is someone will buy the MG name and build some car with an MG badge somewhere else. I'm assuming that none of us want to see MGR die so we have to keep the pressure on. Granted, the Govt will probably do nothing, but with a bit of luck that will cost them the election if they don't so they may be forced to do the right thing. But only if they can be made to realise the cost of failing to act. All we need now is somebody who wants to buy a car company. Any ideas?

·
Registered
881 Posts
xerif said:
I doubt a lot of the truth in that article, but like everyone else here we don't really know. It may be that SAIC bought licences to build the models (and engines) but that doesn't meant they own all the IP.

MGRovernut said:
Who owns Austin? PVH or MGR?
All the trademarks (MG, Austin, Austin-Healey, Morris, Princess, Vanden Plas et al) were registered to MG Rover Group, not PVH themselves. But the database might be out of date, i.e. they might have transferred them to other companies within PVH.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Ben25 said:
So we all believe everything the BBC tells us now do we? If it wasn't for their best efforts over the last week we might not be in this situation and now they are just trying to finish the job by destroying any confidence that there could be a rescue.

As far as I know nobody knows that the designs have been sold to SAIC. Why would anybody in their right mind do that? A licensing arrangement sure, but not sell them. If it turns out that this has been done then MGR is finished because a car company with no models is a bit short of options. All that will happen is someone will buy the MG name and build some car with an MG badge somewhere else. I'm assuming that none of us want to see MGR die so we have to keep the pressure on. Granted, the Govt will probably do nothing, but with a bit of luck that will cost them the election if they don't so they may be forced to do the right thing. But only if they can be made to realise the cost of failing to act. All we need now is somebody who wants to buy a car company. Any ideas?
MGR tried to flog off the MG TF at the start of the week so I'd keep a more skeptical watch on this. I suspect there will be a public enquiry into the accounts and Price Waterhouse are probably asking some pretty searching Q so that they can get a true picture of what they have left to sell and the liabilities of MGR.

One would hope they can at least pay the staff some money.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am keeping a skeptical eye on this situation. That means remaining skeptical about anything which is not known to be true. Like I said, if they have sold the designs then there is nothing left and so there will be some searching questions and an inquiry and, for all I know, P4 will be hounded out of the West Midlands and all be forced to move to the Bahamas. But I dont know that to be true and I suspect nobody else here does either.

If Price Waterhouse didn't ask some searching questions then they wouldn't be doing their job properly. But the fact that MGR are in administration and not receivership means that the preliminary 'searching questions' must have yielded at least some hope that there is something to save.

As nobody on here is in the loop, all we can do, if we want MGR to survive in any form, is keep the pressure on the politicians and the media. The potential buyer is something out of our control and so you will get no misplaced optimism from me but nor will you get a pessimistic negativity and a blanket belief in the same media who have precipitated this crisis. It wasn't until the BBC and the more weighty papers started cranking up the negative coverage that a few of the suppliers cracked. Yes, we now know that MGR would have run out of money in a few weeks anyway, and yes SAIC would probably have strung the negotiations out until they did, but we don't know for sure that they were acting in bad faith (although if I'm honest I really can't see how they would have allowed things to get to this point if they genuinely wanted a partner). We do know that the media have had it in for MGR from before day one.

I hope that they can keep the staff their jobs or else I wouldn't still be here. I'm afraid an MG built in Spain, or Malaysia or Hungary is of no interest to me because there is much more to a car being either an MG or a Rover than the badge on the front grille. I know that some amongst you will feel differently, and I do not doubt that whatever happens MG will live on in some form even if Rover doesn't. Seeing what MGR have achieved with the Zeds I frankly do not want to see that marque's badge being applied to a Proton with an altered front grille or any other car. I am really angry about what has happened, although I am not directly affected, and am not prepared to give up until there is nothing left to fight for. :banghead:

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
MGR tried to flog off the MG TF at the start of the week so I'd keep a more skeptical watch on this.

For the record, MG Rover immediately and comprehensively issued a denial to that partcular story, which died a death shortly thereafter.

John

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
John Tower's said publicly on C4 news yesterday that PVH has plenty of assets left to bargain with. These people are not stupid they are business men and I feel that they will be busy trying to sort some sort of a deal out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
MGR tried to flog off the MG TF at the start of the week so I'd keep a more skeptical watch on this.

For the record, MG Rover immediately and comprehensively issued a denial to that partcular story, which died a death shortly thereafter.

John
Thankyou for posting this. I would have knocked it flat myself only I wasn't sure about it. All I knew was that Alchemy man (who lets face it is probably just bitter because he lost last time and is out for his bit of petty revenge) had been mouthing off during the week that he wouldn't give £1 for MGR now, let alone £10. Personally I would have given him a tenner to stay away even if he had been prepared to part with £1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts