MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who owns the rights / production lines for the proper Mini?
Is it BMW?
Is the line in storage somewhere?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah I believe that was why they couldn't produce it after 2000 I think.

Perhaps the line has gone to British Motor Heritage??

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
and here was me thinkign it was the emitions of teh a-series. :_poke:

Rather have (and have had plenty) a crash in my mini than any modern small car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mini ownership

I don't believe the Mini was quite time expired when it finished production. More to do with BMW leaving Rover and no confusion wanted over the name with the new Mini on the horizon. If the Mini was at the total end of the road millions would have been sunk into a pretty major redesign for 1997 with twin point fuel injection, side impact beams in the doors (first seen in the 1970s for Canadian market minis) airbag, seat belt pretensioners etc. Of course adding that few more years to it's life was pretty cheap advertising and the history of the Mini with all it's major rally wins etc was still fresh in peoples minds for the launch of the new MINI

BMW have full ownership of the name and image of the mini - even toys cannot be produced without their say so.

The body panel tooling has all gone down to Heritage who now manufacture all the bits and even complete full bodyshells, also recently the Mini Clubman

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yep. British Motor Heritage still make Mini shalls (bell-nose and Clubman) (along with MGB, Midget, etc

BUT, im sure the shalls go up to Longbridge to be finished, what will happen now?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts