MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

After a blat on Saturday I noticed a strange whining noise from the engine which sounded like the alternator bearings. I let her cool, but the noise remains.

I took the belth off the alternator to see if that would shut it up, but even without the alternator running there is still a noise.

The noise is a whining / slight clicking noise which has got worse since driving 70+miles it is an engine noise as its more noticable at tickover, or slight throttle.

Temperature seems ok, oil level fine. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Waterpump???? - do these tend to go
Tensioner??? - have heard that the bottom pulley can alarmingly work loose!

For the record the coolant level has dropped since the service in August, with a drop of two under the car when left standing for 2 months - does this point to water pump.

Any ideas on costs......

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The noise you describe does sound like the tensioner bearing is on it's way out, and yes the water pumps are prone to failure.
If you are going to replace the tensioner assembly it is good practice to replace the water pump and cambelt at the same time.

Parts from any good motor factor will cost in the region of £100.

hth Codger

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. The waterpump, tensioner and cambelt will be replaced this weekend together with new hoses (as some are perished). New coolant as well - isnt she lucky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts