MG-Rover.org Forums banner

whining noise from engine bay (with video)

17K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  exeterjeep 
#1 ·
I decided to try to determine what the strange high pitched whine is coming from my cars engine bay today, which has appeared over the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if its the cam belt, alternator belt or what, but whatever it is it doesn't sound right. The cam belt was changed 2 months ago along with the water pump so I dont think its that, its definitely not the engine bay cooling fan as i checked it and it wasn't even running. I have tried to spray some lubrication over the alternator belt but that didnt seem to affect it at all so im getting a bit stumped.

You can hear it best at about 30 seconds into the video and it seems to mainly go away by the end of the video. Any one encountered this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36rjtLPWFU&feature=youtu.be

#2 ·
I decided to try to determine what the strange high pitched whine is coming from my cars engine bay today, which has appeared over the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if its the cam belt, alternator belt or what, but whatever it is it doesn't sound right. The cam belt was changed 2 months ago along with the water pump so I dont think its that, its definitely not the engine bay cooling fan as i checked it and it wasn't even running. I have tried to spray some lubrication over the alternator belt but that didnt seem to affect it at all so im getting a bit stumped.

You can hear it best at about 30 seconds into the video and it seems to mainly go away by the end of the video. Any one encountered this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36rjtLPWFU&feature=youtu.be
I dont know enough about engine bay whines to be able to say what it is, no doubt someone will be along shortly to help but if your worried and still have light you could try opening up the cam cover, something like 5 bolts, and get a long screwdriver (or a spanner which is what i used) and put one end to your ear and the other where you think the noise is coming from. The sound will be amplified and at least help you find out where in the engine its coming from.

#4 ·
was the engine cold when you begun that video? stone cold?

My first thought was a vacuum leak, from my £5 earphones. but then the pitch changed, and as you said stopped.

58seconds into the video... got very loud as you entered the wheels arch. stick your head closer to that. :)
Alternator, water pumps, and accosiated belts r on that side. . .

#5 ·
I'd been driving around a couple of hours prior to that video so no it wasn't stone cold. I have just been and had a second listen though and it appears I have two strange noises. One is like a constant whistling sound a bit like a camping kettle but no where near as loud. The second is the weird louder sound that changes pitch. On second listen the 1st sound is more or less there all the time from what i can tell so you could well be right when you say a vacuum leak, I guess i will need to have the cover off for a proper inspection on that one. The second sound seems to come from under the wheel arch so must be belt related, i gave the alternator belt a good soaking and the sound stayed the same so that leads me to think that it must be the cam belt. Seems a bit strange though...

#6 ·
It doesn't necessarily have to be a belt, it could be the bearing of something being driven off the belt i.e. alternator, water pump or cam belt tensioner.

#8 ·
I suppose thats true, although both the tensioner and water pump are new parts so they should be safe, could be the alternator bearing though.

Ive just been looking at a how to for a cam belt change to see how easy it is to get the cover off and have a good look inside. One chap mentioned that the cam belt should twist 90 degrees and if it doesn't then its too tight. I'll investigate the alternator first though as i suspect that will be easier. I am a bit worried that the garage who did the cam belt have put it on too tight and it could be putting a strain on the water pump, why is nothing ever easy!

#7 ·
try taking off your cam belt and then starting the engine. if the noise stops you know it was the belt.

no, no dont do that. i just wanted to suggest it for fun.

i do agree with an earlier post get the inspection cover off, and get your head in the 'bay. then remove cam covers / etc as required to isolate the source(s).

Actually iv just listened to the video again.

try this: turn on your radio, lights, wipers, heater on full and then roll down both windows. see if that initiates, or stops, the noise from the engine. By doing this your arse putting more load on the alternator. could flag up a problem in that area.

also, i didnt see your VVC mech in that video. Im assuming this is a 135 model?

#9 ·
try taking off your cam belt and then starting the engine. if the noise stops you know it was the belt.
Too late...:hgf:

:facepalm:

try this: turn on your radio, lights, wipers, heater on full and then roll down both windows. see if that initiates, or stops, the noise from the engine. By doing this your arse putting more load on the alternator. could flag up a problem in that area.
Will give that a try now, although i dont see wht my arse has got to do with it... :moon:

also, i didnt see your VVC mech in that video. Im assuming this is a 135 model?
Yep its a 135 :)

#14 ·
UPDATE:

I had the alternator belt completely off today and tried the engine again, the whine is still there so at least the alternator bearing and belt are both ruled out. Although worryingly this is looking more and more like the cam belt or water pump bearing... I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow to see if the garage who fitted the cam belt can check it over.

The next problem ive run into is that the alternator belt tensioning bolt YYP100530 is completely missing so now I cant get the alternator belt on tight enough to feel safe driving around :( having done a bit of research it looks like its an M6 x 90mm bolt so ill try and find one locally tomorrow but its going to be hard to pick it up without a car! Something else for me to take up with the garage as they must of done the alternator belt when they did the cam belt.

#20 ·
Aha! I've experienced this exact noise before (the kettle noise), both with my ex Rover 45 and the TF, and only really when cold. It's the oil filter. No really! Trust me on this.

I was baffled for months about the noise on the Rover, and I had a listen with the screwdriver against my ear underneath the car, landed it on the oil filter and it was that! Obviously was completely full or faulty, and there was some sort of pressure relief whining. Changed the filter and it was fine ever since.

I then got the TF (I'm a new TF owner by the way and loving it), which hadn't been serviced for ages as it turned out, which was making the exact same noise. Changed the three year old oil filter and all was fine.

Sounds mad, but before you do anything, just do an oil and filter change and that loud whining kettle noise you hear in the video should dissapear.

#21 ·
It sounds quite similar to the noise my first F made just before the cam belt tensioner exploded it's bearings all over the place. I would personally avoid driving the car until I was sure. Hopefully it's something with less chance of causing the engine to beat it's self to death from the inside.

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys I've determined that the pitch and speed of the whine is connected to the speed of the engine so that would point at something under the cam belt cover? I hadn't thought about the oil filter, it is due a change, but would it cause a whine that changes with the speed of the engine? I have no idea so please let me know on that one.

I'll investigate the filter but I'm pretty convinced its the cam belt tensioner so going to do that myself as I think I can do that (leaving the existing 2 month old belt on) without locking the flywheel or removing the uber tight crankshaft bolt.

And onto my next problem.... Now that the tf isn't drivable I was planning to use the missus's civic to get to work, dropping her off on the way. So we get out there and now that won't fire up either, it's just turning over and over! So now where both on the bus and I have no way of picking up the parts I need. Marvellous!

#25 ·
I just need to convince my boss about that :lol: Fuel is all good only recently been filled up, could be dodgy fuel i suppose, hmm. I'm unsure about the spark as I just had to bail and run for the bus. We have RAC cover for both cars so might just let them sort out the civic tonight. Ive never been in a situation where both cars are laid up before, the civic has always been faultless... gremlins must be playing havoc with me this week.

#26 ·
The pitch of the whine gets higher when the engine is revved, as the oil pump is being driven faster, thus resulting in higher oil pressure and a speed related whine. I only wish I'd video'd both of my cars when they were doing it as the sound and charactaristics of your whine are identical.

Trust me, just do an oil and filter change first. It's easier to do that first (especially if needs doing ayway) than go through the process of doing the cambelt tensioner. Or at least have a listen to the oil filter through a long screwdriver when it's making the noise.

Hope this does the trick!

#27 ·
Hi mate I took your advice and listened to the filter through a spanner and it definitely amplified the sound so I think you are spot on with your diagnosis! Ill be getting the parts or a oil and filter change asap to see if that cures it. Hopefully it does :)

#32 ·
This is fantastic news!:bgrin: Glad to hear it's done the trick so far, so much easier than removing the cambelt to find it wasn't that after all. And I'm glad you gave the filter change a go because it's such an unusual thing to make such a noise. Hope it stays quiet!

honestly that is such good news. ive had the same noise coming from around the alternator area so just above the filter...thought it was either this or the cambelt...hoping its this....reading this thread makes me hopeful :)
Give it a go! It's a wierd noise, and I thought it was either the alternator or cambelt when it first appeared on my old Rover 45. Was literally about to take all the external belts off before I had a poke round with the screwdriver and landed on the oil fliter. Hope this sorts the problem!

So have I discovered another unique K-series charactaristic? The fact they moan and whine when they need a service?

#33 ·
This is fantastic news!:bgrin: Glad to hear it's done the trick so far, so much easier than removing the cambelt to find it wasn't that after all. And I'm glad you gave the filter change a go because it's such an unusual thing to make such a noise. Hope it stays quiet!
Im pleased I made the video and that you saw it, id of been scratching my head for days otherwise and still not even thought about the oil filter. Nice one :broon:

So have I discovered another unique K-series charactaristic? The fact they moan and whine when they need a service?
I think you may of, funny thing is id been meaning to do the oil change for a few weeks, id done plugs, ht leads, air filter, coolant change, and had the cam belt done by a garage. Think it was my cars way of saying "Oi, you're not finished yet c'mon finish the job" :lol:

#37 ·
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Had exactly the same noise on my TF 135 and was convinced the cambelt tensioner was knackered (even though it had done less than 5,000 miles since it was changed in 2012).

Anyway, as always I had a good scout through the threads on MG-Rover before I started work and saw this. Changed the oil and filter this morning (Genuine MG Rover filter and Castol Magnatec) and hey presto no whistling kettle. So much respect and thanks to you all!!

#39 ·
Found this thread the other day, had not found it before as I normally look for r25/mg zr. I too have had this problem and the oil filter change made the difference.
Some months ago my 1.8 zr 120 started making a strange whining noise – but not as soon as I started the car, it took a few minutes to start making its noise and the longer it ran then it changed note a bit. But after a few more minutes say 10, it would make a bit of a click and then the noise would stop. Could easily be heard from 30-40 feet away. Seemed noisiest near the bottom of the engine near the crank pulley.

I knew it was not the alternator or PAS belt as it still made the noise when the belts were off the bottom pulley. Found a thread somewhere that suggested the pulley can make a noise if the rubber vibration ring in the pulley has failed, so got that changed, but made no difference. Had bought a new water pump and belt tensioner thinking that they would be the next things to try. But then found this thread and had a crawl under the front of the car and wow what a noise from the filter.

Talking to a mate of mine he recalled an occasion when the mechanic that lives opposite him had a car up on a ramp with a few people under it trying to find where a noise was coming from – it had just had a new exhaust fitted, but it turned out to be a noise from the oil filter. Wasn’t a Rover/MG though.
My zr had a genuine mg rover filter, have replaced it with another genuine one.

Well done whoever found the solution to this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.