MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flexi has given up the ghost on my TF; it's the original so 18 years old.

Wondered whether to get the official MG part for £75 or the SS one that's around £50 from Autobits with the fixing kit?

Don't want to suffer the rasp noise that some 3rd Party one's cause.....won't tackle this myself, anyone have a ball park figure of cost from an exhaust place to undertake the work before I ring round tomorrow?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went for genuine part for £74 del. Now to find a fitter not something I fancy doing!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Went for genuine part for £74 del. Now to find a fitter not something I fancy doing!
I did my TF160 which was gone when I bought it. I have to say, it took most of the day becuase I replaced the downpiupe, flexi and back-box. Every nut/bolt except the downpipe were either siezed or corroded away. I went for aftemarket parts but no noisy back-box. I had to use my pillar-drill and vice to attack/drill out rusted bolt-remnant. Exhaust fittings are always trouble but at least on a MG its all in one place. I jack up and supprt the rear subframe on 2 axle-stands.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair play on the DIY, I'm going to get a few quotes from fabricators in Maidstone, Ashford and T Wells as I have a horrid feeling the bolts on the Cat will be a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I had to grind them all off- every exhaust flange. The CAT needed drilling out on the bench as I re-used it.You can try Russell of MR Rover solutions- I dont know how busy he is. He laughed when I told him it took me a whole day. I cut the flexi once id undone it from the exhaust-manifold. It was not worth wriggling. Its not a difficult job, its just time consuming.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once the downpipe arrives will be over to your neck of the woods to Maidstone Exhaust Service Centre, quoted £60+VAT sorted!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,921 Posts
That sounds like a good £60 +VAT spent, I will have a go at most jobs but I find dealing with exhausts - well exhausting....

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Once the downpipe arrives will be over to your neck of the woods to Maidstone Exhaust Service Centre, quoted £60+VAT sorted!
I used to get all my tyres from Raz, But its not the same since his boy took over.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New flexi and a new cat on the car £60 labour, well worth it as I would never of got the old one's off; they could not get either of the 18 year old Lamda's out pre and post cat, so blanking plugs fitted until weekend and I ordered 2 new Lamda's and parked the car up until then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts