MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video is their test "sit" (not really a test drive)

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews-ns/mg-tf-first-drive/mg-tf-video-review/index.jsp

You need to be a member of Which? to see this four-minute video. The headlines are "13 years old" "no ESP" "don't like the stereo" "don't like the gearchange" (though little evidence he got further than third! ;) ) "overpriced and old compared to a Mazda" "precursor of bigger and better things to come?"

There are positives, too, but the word "However" is used an awful lot...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I was going to say I hope they didn't pay him for that review but it's clear from the quality of his clothes that they probably didn't! What shocking presentation ......never mind what his views of the TF are the standard of journalism is appalling as well most of Which?'s pensioner readers would have nodded right off in the first 30 secs

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Whilst he is a terrible presenter, i thought if you ignored the obvious errors (like safety) he was very kind on the car. It is an old design, there are question marks over longevity, quality and HGF, it's under powered and massively over-priced.
As a long time owner of MGF and MGTF I am not anti the TF, just realistic.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Unfortunatley although the presentation may be poor this review seems to be recurring theme for the new TF

If only they hired some decent marketers at NAC

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
It is an old design,
Agreed

there are question marks over longevity
Agreed

Drive one, i thought it was noticeably better built than the old model

They say it's not an issue, but this remains to be seen

it's under powered
Agreed

and massively over-priced.
Very much disagree.

I paid £16,395.00 for my (bog standard) F in 1996.
My one had only 3 options, wood fascia, red/black leather steering wheel and matching gear knob. Everything else was standard, solid paint colour, no ABS, no EPAS, fabric seats - strictly a no frills car. It is also an MPi (120PS) car. Back then i thought this a fair price for my car (and still do).

Compare this with the LE 500. This car has literally every option, to get something equivallent in 1996 you would be looking at well over £22,000.00 (not that you could get a lot of these options then). Ask how much some of the other users on here paid for their top spec TFs new, it's in this ball park. Finally, how much is an equivalently specc'ed MX5? I think you'll find that the sizeable price difference compensates for the above shortcomings.

If you can look past the recent history and the above (and of these, only the under-powered one is genuinely an issue that may affect the owner daily and this, of course, is entirely relative to what the driver is used to. If they come from say a Micra, then it'll be fast. If they come from a TF 160, then it's slow). The rest are either ethereal or unproven. Look at it with fresh eyes and take it as 'just another car', comparing like-for like, i think you'll be surprised. In real terms i reckon it's a steal.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
not sure about being underpowered to be honest, I used to own a middle of the road 80bhp smart roadster and my TF 135 is quicker and faster off the mark even with no turbo and being 2 years older... And fuel economy has been the same on the same stretch of roads to work...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Clearly I'm no expert on these matters, but isn't a significant portion of the cost of a car the recovery of the development costs? And given that it's now an old design (and wasn't even developed by the current owner, save for a few tweeks here and there) I expect the majority of these would have been covered and really all that's being paid for now is the raw materials, labour, infrastructure and profit margin?

I don't want to be seen as negative at all, I want MG to do well etc, but it is a bit pricey isn't it??

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
New factory in China, relocation of the production line, cost of buying the brand & the Longbridge site from the receivers...

They do have bills to pay.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
As you guys know I have been in the "trade" so to speak for a long while. All those trips to Sweden were'nt to get air miles or visit IKEA.

For an old car (MGF/TF) that has been exported to China I think you can say that it actually isnt very cheap. All the machine tools would have been amortised to zero when the co went bust. Labour costs in China are very low, and with the right guidance they will produce, and more importantly remember to produce good examples.

I believe that it would be possilke to produce MGTFs for much less than the current £16500 but you need volume to do that, and to get volume you need dealers, and marketing. As well as finance deals for customers.

Price is only part of the marketing mix the other three of the 4 ps are
Product (sorted in my mind)
Promotion (Disasterous)
Placement (distribution/availability/outlets) (Distasterous)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I really think they should never had started the le500 thing I suspect that in the current climate they'll end up closing UK TF production down, that may well leave a surplus of spare picnic hampers on eBay

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
don't forget people were stealing equipment, etc after the closures as well.... Just like any other company closures like MFI, Woolworths, etc...

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I really think they should never had started the le500 thing I suspect that in the current climate they'll end up closing UK TF production down, that may well leave a surplus of spare picnic hampers on eBay
I wouldnt be at all surprised.
MG dies again in uk ONCE AGAIN down to rubbish marketing. What is it with British Management, just can't get it together.

On a positive note this will make LEs incredibly desirable as collectors' pieces

1 - 17 of 17 Posts