MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to get a diesel Rover, been thinking of an 825 in particular.

I might in the future want to run it partially on veggie oil, is this possible with the 825?

I've read DD's excellent article on veggie oil and seems that the L series engine is most likely to run on veggie oil without problems, but which Rovers had this?

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Ohhh an 825, we had one of these about a year ago, totally bullet proof i think. There was a problem with overheating, but i think that was dodgy cooling in the end, and a new lift pump was needed.

I dont think it would matter running part derv/veggy oil in that, quite a robust engine i think.
The rovers that had the L-series is the bubble 200,400 and 600. The 800 uses the italian VM engine, that was also used in some Jeep Cherokees.

HTH

Stuart

·
Homologation Engineer
1,107 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go near this veggie oil stuff. I've seen some of the pictures of engines after they have been run on the stuff and compared to the normal diesel fuel I'd rather spend the £££ on diesel than the oil as the engines are not a pretty site. The fuel pumps tend to fall apart and make a right mess!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
True, but depends on the mix you want to use. If its more diesel then oil, just to top it up sort of thing, i wouldnt imagine a problem with pumps and stuff?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good to me. I wasn't thinking of running it exclusively on veg, just a top up now and then.

So if anyone sees a black 825 or a black 620 SDi for sale let me know! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts