MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Which oil are people using in their CDTI's, I looked at Mobil 1 but with service intervals of 15K I'm not running the car 24/7 in extreme temperatures for 25K miles therefore seems costly opposed to other fully synthetic oils.

Cheers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 10/03 Tourer is about to hit 100k and has spent most of the time spinning in Halfords semi-synthetic, changed every 15k as per the book. Goes as well if not better than it ever has.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My Zt-T has Mobil 1 stickers all over it but I noticed that the garage (former MGR dealers) only put a semi synthetic in.

At 12- 13,000 mile intervals between services the semi snthetic is probably good enough, but someone with more knowledge on the subject will probably clarify this.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,435 Posts
Use a good sem synth and change more often, will be better for the engine than getting a good full synth and not changing very often.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I use Mobil 1 diesel oil in mine - £23 for 4L off ebay. It does run smoother than the Mobil semi-synth i was using before.

·
Registered
rover_600
30 Posts
Engine oil

Hi,

Suppose Im always looking for value for money in my motoring.
For me I think splashing out on brand names and buying fully synthectic oils is not necessary.
I think if you stick with the viscosity rating as recommended for your car and check the oil specs listed on the container and understand what they mean,you will find many better priced oils are more than a match for brand names.
If your car is specified fully synthectic only than go with it,but I would have thought this is more to do with extended service intervals and initial warranty for newer cars.
I would use a good spec sensible price oil either mineral or semi synthectic and change oil once or maybe twice a year.
Also if your cars older and leaks abit of oil or uses oil these fully synth oils become even more expensive.

cheers mac600

1 - 8 of 8 Posts