MG-Rover.org Forums banner

which mpv should i look at?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
or, for full off-road capability, a Chieftain? :lol:

(In this poll these cars are all the "small" people carriers. The Zafira is one of the strongest contenders in the "large" category IMHO, but again IMHO, presuming the size is OK, it wipes the floor with the "small" ones!)

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
patpending said:
or, for full off-road capability, a Chieftain? :lol:

(In this poll these cars are all the "small" people carriers. The Zafira is one of the strongest contenders in the "large" category IMHO, but again IMHO, presuming the size is OK, it wipes the floor with the "small" ones!)
there all ruoghly the same size give or take a few inches.
the biggest one is the grand scenic.its actually bigger than a mk1 espace!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
ive driven a few 1.9tdi Tourans and found them to be very well built, nice to drive and quite nippy. would imagine the 2.0TDi could suprise a few of the saxo brigade!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I voted for the Mazda 5. At least it adds a bit of 'style' amongst the boxes on wheels with curves at the edges such as the new zafira and the VW touran.

MY opinion:-

VW: + points: built quality, excellent diesel engines
mazda: + points: styling best on the list, reliability
vauxhall: + points: most intelligent seat system, availability, good deals
ford: + points: safe and sound
renault: + points: fairly spacious, good interior if not brilliant quality
peugeot: + points: styling ok, well equipped, diesels

VW: - points: boring styling, seating not so clever
mazda: - points: diesel might not be so good as others
vauxhall: - points: poor performance and equipment on base models, styling
ford: - points: looks like a fish from the front, body roll
renault: - points: petrols aren't great, normal scenic less capacious
peugeot: - points: potential for unreliability, less height.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
81 Posts
If you want to carry lots of people and their luggage at any time then the Multipla or the Honda FR-V will oblige with their 3 + 3 seats. You'll have to decide whether you can live with the Fiat's looks but it has won heaps of awards even if it has not sold so well - other than to Roman taxi drivers. The Honda should prove to be as competent as their other models - well made, ultra relaible, fun to drive, good dealers etc.

The others you list are either 7 seats with no/little luggage space or just 5 seaters. In the case of 5 seaters you may as well get an estate car, save yourself some money and have a better car to drive every day.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
My brother-in-law is on his third VW Touran and rates them.

My wife runs a Picasso 2.0HDi and is our fourth I think, but I cannot stand driving it anymore, it makes me want to puke!

Given the choice and if money was not an issue I would buy a Grand Voyager 2.9CRD, the stowage of the seats in those are excellent. Love em.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
stamford said:
My brother-in-law is on his third VW Touran and rates them.

My wife runs a Picasso 2.0HDi and is our fourth I think, but I cannot stand driving it anymore, it makes me want to puke!

Given the choice and if money was not an issue I would buy a Grand Voyager 2.9CRD, the stowage of the seats in those are excellent. Love em.
The picasso does roll about a bit, plus it has a cheap finish, but there are cracking deals to be had.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
The picasso does roll about a bit, plus it has a cheap finish, but there are cracking deals to be had.
They've done us alright over the years, but time to move onto something else. Wifey is looking at a Suzuki Jimny, alright for round town i suppose :daft:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Its all personal choice really, but id stay away from the renault, had experience of a few newer renaults and not been impressed. Plastically, rolly, and i think they are going to age so so so badly.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Depends what you want it for.

In my opinion none of them are really multi-purpose vehicles. For that, you really need a Motorhome. Then you can cook, eat, wash up, sleep, shower and walk about inside it. Oh, and go to the toilet... That's what I call multi-purpose!

Sensible sized ones are based on a Ford Transit or similar size van, and they are as easy to drive and park as a large car.

On the other hand, if you want to carry a large family and all the clobber then that's different (and I can't really help...)

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
much that i woul;d like a motorhome there isn't one with all those"essentials" that has seven belted seats!!!
to those that have suggested the picasso/hr-v and multipla they are no good as i have 5 kids to lug around!!!
very difficult to work out which one to get .it will probably come down to storage space and specs!!!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
paynemgzr said:
much that i woul;d like a motorhome there isn't one with all those"essentials" that has seven belted seats!!!
to those that have suggested the picasso/hr-v and multipla they are no good as i have 5 kids to lug around!!!
very difficult to work out which one to get .it will probably come down to storage space and specs!!!
I'd say its between the:-

Mazda 5
Vauxhall Zafira

The VW's 7 seat option is cumbersome. The S-MAX Is certainly worth a try, but has less storage space than some rivals according to magazines.

Discount the peugeot. Renault is distinctly average although no pushover.#

I posted above the + and - points of each car based on my opinion.

I'd say the Mazda but when it comes to test driving the vehicles of course it is mostly down to your personal preference, despite the ultimate need for practicality.

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i actually came to the conclusion that apart from the mazda'all the others seat folding operations are cumbersome in some way
one question that did come to mind is why vauxhall didn't improve the seat folding at all.
after living with a zafira for a while it can be a right pain.
i do think that individual middle row seats are better than the zafiras bench because its easier to change leg room with each seat rather than a whole bench because in some situations its unhelpful.
the problem with the mazda5 i cant gat the spec i want inside my price bracket because of only small discounts.
i may have to try a broker and see if i can that way!!!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Get a Honda Shuttle. Very reliable, well built, nice to drive plenty of room and three rows of seats. Honda blurb said they designed the interior around the cabin of a lear jet. Yeah, right. 'Tis a nice place to be though.

The Honda Stream always gets good reviews too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts