MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

our 32" Pixel Plus Surround Sound Philips 32" widescreen CRT TV has served us valiantly for the last 13 years or so, but I fear it is on the way out now.

The colour has faded considerably, and we can no longer seem to adjust the colour other than to make it black and white, sepia, or this faded sort of colour.

So I think it is time for an LCD replacement. We want something bigger, if it fits in the room, but looking at what is around, I'm getting a bit bewildered!!! It seems you can get a great picture, but in most cases the sound/speakers are a bit dire.

Can anyone recommend anything or point me towards any good spec TVs? I am after a full HD, 39" - 50" size TV, LED, possibly Smart (but doesn't have to be), with decent sound (or of not, a decent sound bar to use with it). Would prefer something like a Panasonic, JVC, Sony or Philips, but open to suggestions of other decent makes. Don't really want to spend much more than £500 - £600 if possible.

The kids use Wii and Xbox 360, and we have Sky HD (without the HD activated at the moment)!!

Any advice gratefully received ;) :wink:

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Panasonic at the moment make the best of the LED TV's.

Phillips and Sony do Android TV's but the choice of apps is limited. Samsung are OK, but quality is questionable (as with all their products) and they seem to keep promising smart features and not delivering, or removing exiting ones.

Gte advice from somewhere like AVForums.com

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I think these days everyone assumes you'll be buying a soundbar with the TV.
Not a lot of money gets you a lot of sound these days. If it's important to you i'd invest £200 in one.

·
Registered
mg_tf
605 Posts
At Christmas we bought a new TV and opted for an LG. Picked it for the passive 3D, but the picture quality is just lovely. Colour is rich without being lurid, nice and contrasty wihout ever losing the highlights. Good skin tones, and the HD channels are very crisp. Great with Blu Ray. We got a 50 inch, and when watching Standard def channels the big screen does expose the limits of their sharpness- but of course that will be the case with any bigger TV. Sound is OK without being great, soo if I ever get around to decorating the sitting room I plan to wire in surround sound speakers.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
vote for Samsung here.

If I was to buy a new TV it'd be a toss up between Panasonic and Samsung.

Not bothered about the Smart functions as my Xbox does it all and then some. Most modern TV's have nothing fancy when it comes to sound as assuming if you are after decent sound you'll fork out extra for it. Sound bars are good, but personally I'd pay the little extra and get an AVR with Surround Sound.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Got an LG 4K tv about a year ago and have to say it is the dogs danglies.

Just thinking of moving up from 40" though.

Have a curved Samsung 24" as a monitor, which is great as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts