MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First post and some advise required please.
I have decided to purchase a mg tf and have decided to buy the best I can get hopefully.
I am looking for a late 2005 MG Rover car or a Chinese MG Motor UK car and wish to know which would be the better buy.
Also, are the MG Rover parts comparable with the Chinese cars ?
I have read somewhere that the Chinese cars were built in Longbridge from kits shipped in from China and therefore not all parts are compatable. True or false ?
You know what the internet is like for uninformed experts 馃檮
Any info would be much appreciated.
I have done a search but not really found what I want........Cheers 馃嵒

In the Garage
MG TF
It鈥檚 hard to say, each will have its pros and cons. It is true that that 2009 TF was assembled using parts from China but put together on the same production line as the 2005 cars. I know some parts are different but I am not sure how much that will change your ownership experience. I personally would look at a few and decide.

One thing to keep an eye on is some TF鈥檚 were registered in 2005 but are 2004 cars that had sat in a field for perhaps 12 months before being registered and so will not have the 2005MY suspension tweaks and glass rear window unless it has been retrofitted.

Perhaps the one to get is the 2009 LE85 as this had a lot of extra suspension development work done to it.

Registered
mg_tf
If you want a starting place, have a look here:
Selling TFs is their bread and butter. Often have cars with unusual colour/trim selections. Seviced and guaranteed. No, I don't work for them.
It might give you an idea what you want to look for.
My 2004 1.6 car is less well screwed together and has been much more trouble then my 2002 1.8, so age is not everything. A well loved car is worth hunting down.

Registered
mg_tf
I'm in the fortunate position to have owned, in my time, a 2005 MGTF and now own a 2009 MGTF. There's very little difference between them, the dash is slightly different but hardly noticeable. The MG badge and front bumper are different but again not much in it, I personally prefer my 2009 bumper. A mate of mine has a 2004 model, and to us there is no difference in performance (both cars are 135 versions. The 2005 car and my 2009 car have the more comfortable suspension. My mates 2004 car, when produced, had the harsher suspension so he has retrofitted the comfort suspension. The Chinese modified the engine, (which is what Rover should have done), and supposedly have got rid of the head gasket problems altogether. My current car has covered only 17000 miles and as you would expect is in good nick but even with so little miles the suspension components have still suffered the rust bug, which is why I'm working through all the rust now during lockdown. In conclusion there's very little difference in a 2005 and 2009 car but having seen mine underneath I would stick to your idea of getting as new a car as possible with as low mileage as possible.

Registered
I've had a 2000 MGRover 1.6 F, 2005 MGRover 1.6 TF and now a 2010 'Chinese' MGMotors 1.8 TF. The 2005 was the best loved. I found the 2010 needed to be 'rescued' back to the 2005 quality but I'm now quite happy with it. Late 2005s -> 2009s seemed to have more shared shiny bits...

But please don't think newer must necessarily be better tho'

I feel I've got 'less MG-ness', a few better design bits (eg less HG/cooling system stress) and a few worse (eg TF electrics seem to be more fragile as age decreases - both ECU and SCU in my case - and a recent lock seizure showed the 'spare' earlier TF lock seemed better made, metal door straps became plastic in the 2010...)

I've carried spares such as plugs, filters, lamps, windbreak, tonneau covers, brake pads, silencers, wheels etc through the TFs especially and everything seems to fit perfectly (so I'm not too impressed when MGMotors/LE500 parts seem 'better', ergo more expensive!)

I feel the F seemed to be accepted as 'more MG' and better initial quality but I think the TF seems 'more conventional and budget' (esp less 'quirky' suspension parts).

I agree with Skellum; get something 'nice' and enjoy the simplicity, relative cheapness and MG Club acceptance/ethos. Oh, and brain-pick the immense wealth of good-will to keep it 'nice' from fellow forum members as well. (F/TFs become like pets, don't they?)

ps I've just seen slatept's post as I was typing this and I think his post says it better :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your replies, just the kind of info I wanted.
Following the advise given, I have been looking on the Trophy Cars website and he does seem to have a complete range of very nice cars to paw over.
I will be making a visit when it is allowed, thanks again .........馃嵒

Registered
I agree with the earlier comments regarding age. I have a MGF vvc from new (1998). 62K miles. Always garaged (17 C), low humidity and no rust whatsoever (including underside). It is about how the car is looked after. It has new (ie new when bought back in 2008) trophy spheres, fitted in 2017. I have seen pictures of 2004 Tfs where the rust is unbelievable, so it it is about the condition of individual cars and how they have been maintained, not age. If I had to buy a model today, it would be a Trophy,.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have purchased a TF !!!!
Nice almost immaculate late MG Motor UK 135 that has done 20800 miles and drives beautifully. A little surface rust on the subframes but, it is 9 years old and it is very minor. First job, clean and paint subframes, I pick it up on Tuesday after it has been serviced including the all important Cam Belt and water pump replacement and a new mot. I based my choice on condition and colour etc as recommended.
They must have at least 50 cars to choose from including a very late MG Rover TF that has just 850 miles recorded at 拢14995, too rich for my blood but very nice.
Thanks to you all for replying to my first post and helping me make my choice, just need for things to get back to normal and the car shows / meets to start up again.
Keep safe y'all........
IMG_0543-876x535.jpg

Registered
mg_tf
Trophy Cars still have the pictures, and she looks absolutely spotless inside. Puts my heap to shame!
20000 miles is nothing. Have fun with her, perfect time of year to get one.

Registered
Yikes....拢6.25K馃槷

Looks nice, had a look at the site and it seems Trophy Cars are single handly holding up the prices of our cars

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Looked at a couple of LE500's before this one at similar prices but no where near as well kept with mileage around the. 60,000 mark. Looking on Auto trader, it would appear to be about right for a low mileage late TF with service history.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Collected the car today and all went very smoothly, can't fault Trophy Cars, everything was spot on.
80 mile drive home was most pleasant with the hood down and the sun shining, other half took it for a blast once home and enjoyed it too, result.
Will start to explore and get to know the car tomorrow.
IMG_20200519_141802.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts