MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I've a 1999 75 conn.

My headlights are fantastic, but I noticed whenever I switch the lights on the reflector motors self align.

I started looking through the manual (haynes) to see why this should be, and I notice there are three different bulbs fitted.

My main beam bulbs (from what I can see through the lense) look like normal halogens, but my dipped beam bulbs look like the gas mantels from an old caravan, are these zenon ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that I've noticed, they self align even when you put the sidelights on.

They do odd things when you sitch them off too, if you switch off the ignition before switching off the lights, they stay on for ages, if you switch off the lights first, they just switch off normally.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
not that I've noticed, they self align even when you put the sidelights on.

They do odd things when you sitch them off too, if you switch off the ignition before switching off the lights, they stay on for ages, if you switch off the lights first, they just switch off normally.
These will be Xenons. They will stay on after ignition off if switch is turned off after. This is a feature that allows you to get into your house etc with the area lit up. Nothing to worry about and a good extra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not an expert on headlights but ... mine are plain old halogen and they self align every time time I put the side lights on too. This is the self-levelling mechanism. You can hear it (and see it if you put the headlights on straight away). It is perfectly normal. Xenon bulbs are distinctive from the "white" light they produce - un-mistakeable! (Do not confuse true Xenon bulbs operating at V high voltage, cost £100's and last the life of the car (supposedly) with other "£20 each" Xenon bulbs) The "mantle" you describe is common on halogen lights and is dependant on bulb type fitted. It is a reflector that sits in front of the bulb within the unit.

The three bulbs fitted are Xenon (you know if you have these!, "Blue Vision" which are fitted to the projectors and Halogen. I suspect you have Halogen (purely because you are not sure!)

As murphyzt says, staying on after you switch them off when ignition is turned off first is normal. It is a "courtesy" light to see you up the drive. Only the best cars have these little luxuries!!!

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
- - - - -whenever I switch the lights on the reflector motors self align.- - - - - - My main beam bulbs (from what I can see through the lense) look like normal halogens, but my dipped beam bulbs look like the gas mantels from an old caravan, are these zenon ?
Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps have the words 'Xenon Technology' moulded into the edge of the front covers. If they don't say that they're 'ordinary' bulbs. 'Ordinary' bulbs may be Halogen type or may be Xenon type in that they contain some Xenon gas to make the filament glow brighter, but they're not HID.

The dipped lamps may be ordinary reflector type or projector type. If you can see the bulb through the front glass, they are conventional reflectors. If the dips have a 'bullseye' type lens behind the outer glass, they're projectors. Projectors may contain standard bulbs or they may be HID. The wording on the outer glass is the clue.

All models are fitted with motorised dipped reflectors, which allows you to adjust them via the turn wheel on the lights switch. The motors can be heard aligning the lamps when you turn them on or off. These are not the self-adjusting type specific to the OEM HID system. OEM HIDs have a self-levelling system as well as a lens washing system.

TC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts