MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering which one people recommend, I have heard about one from Forte which sounds like it's the best but would like to hear other peoples opinions.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
andywhitehurst said:
Was just wondering which one people recommend, I have heard about one from Forte which sounds like it's the best but would like to hear other peoples opinions.
You have a ZR which must be less than four years old ... so little need there for an engine flush treatment unless you know a good reason for it.

If buying an older car or one with high mileage with an unknown/doubtful maintenance programme by previous owners, then draining oil and replacing it with turbo diesel engine oil can be beneficial. Done this with several of my old cars ( O and T series turbos and K normally aspirated) and it is worthwhile when done properly. Diesel engine oil contains more slower acting detergents. It is virtually ordinary engine oil with added detergents. Those detergents are efficient and work slowly over many 100s miles. I use diesel engine oil as a genntle progressive flush for 1000-2000 miles then drain and fill with regular 10-40 Semi S and in every car so treated, the treatment has been beneficial, not least as it means the new oil is still fairly clear and fresh looking a thousand miles after the oil change. Old engines which have not been given this treatment discolour the fresh new oil with old oil contaminants left in the engine which never fully drains no matter how carefully its done.

I and a number of others over on Rovertech.net and Triple-M have posted our findings using this diesel flushing treatment on our petrol turbo cars and N/A EFis. I've also posted pictures of the congealled oil remnants in an old sump which failed to drain in a high mileage engine which had not been properly maintained. Search those sites I mentioned and read up.

In a newish car with a reliable maintenance history there should not be any need for an engine flush provided good oil and filter has been used at recommended change intervals.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
I took John's very good advice after a PM on Rovertech, and i've had it in my engine for 400 miles now, the engine is running much smoother and the oil is almost black now :beer2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts