MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Which bulbs?

848 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Padraig Mor 
#1 ·
Hi,

One of my dipped beams has blown so consulted my Rave CD and bought a couple of H1 bulbs, which are the ones listed for the dips. However, the diagrams in the bulb-changing instructions seem to clearly show H7 bulbs! I'm far from being a mechanic so don't want to open up the cover until I know I have the right bulb (as it seems to be a ***** of a job). So - does anyone know which bulb is the correct one? Thanks!

#2 ·
Padraig Mor said:
Hi,

One of my dipped beams has blown so consulted my Rave CD and bought a couple of H1 bulbs, which are the ones listed for the dips. However, the diagrams in the bulb-changing instructions seem to clearly show H7 bulbs! I'm far from being a mechanic so don't want to open up the cover until I know I have the right bulb (as it seems to be a ***** of a job). So - does anyone know which bulb is the correct one? Thanks!
Dipped beam bulbs are H7 AFAIK
Have a look at the how to on the club site, that'll take the pain out of the job:-
http://www.75andztclub.com/datasheets/tid006.pdf

and Welcome to the forums and the 75 and ZT club

#4 ·
you need a H7 bulb, turn the front wheel onto full lock in the opposite direction so you can see the "hatch" in the wheel arch open and slide it out, up and out, then the rear of the light housing has a round rubber cover, pull that off then you can get to the bulb fitting its held in with a wire spring clip,

Its easier if you lift the bonnet, then you get some light on the subject:bigeyes: , DONT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS,

Its more fiddly than anything else

maxi-crawf

#5 ·
Dip Bulbs

maxi_crawf said:
you need a H7 bulb, turn the front wheel onto full lock in the opposite direction so you can see the "hatch" in the wheel arch open and slide it out, up and out, then the rear of the light housing has a round rubber cover, pull that off then you can get to the bulb fitting its held in with a wire spring clip,

Its easier if you lift the bonnet, then you get some light on the subject:bigeyes: , DONT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS,

Its more fiddly than anything else

maxi-crawf
Suggest you get the 50% brighter bulbs and several members have said the Osram are best (last longer)
Members mentioned 'a Pipe' getting in the way on N/S making it difficult. Changed mine 2 weeks ago but found 'pipe' was wires in a sheath. I passed a wire down from above, looped it round and pulled it gently upwards and secured it to the shut panel. It was then much easier to get your hand in without interference and see better what you are doing. A lot of it is by feel as when your hand is 'in the ole' it blocks out what you are trying to see. When removing old bulb note the position of the tab, Saves time blindly turning the bulb round to locate properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.