MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Go on Ebay and look in the 'Everything Else' category. It'll take days to look through the whole thing for something you never knew you needed

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
"When's the next big announcement from Nanjing due? "
Getting bored waiting for news......anyone got any ideas.
How big did you want?

Mr Wang has been speaking about Nanjings innovation strategy at the Nanjing International Exhibition Centre this afternoon:

If you want something much bigger then March 27th 2007 is the date...

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
And to go with the previous picture, here is the MG exhibition stand at the same show:

Maybe not quite as significant as a stand at a major motor show but...

(For those that can't read, the sign above the door says "Nanjing MG")

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
the thing I find most interesting about that MG stand is the very prominent V8 badge pictured on the enormous wall poster.

Suggests that the RWD ZT will be making a comeback.

·
Registered
mg_zr
370 Posts
That's apretty nice stand.

The Streetwise is interesting by its inclusion.

The entrance looks like you are going through the stargate lol.

At least hey look to be serious.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
actually the stand emphasises just how highly Chinese people will like the MG marque.

As we all know the MG badge is an Octogon and as we equally know 8 is an auspicious number in Chinese cultures, hence the reason why so many Chinese takeaways/restaurants have octagonal windows and doorways (or at least they do in Australia).

·
Registered
984 Posts
PatrickT said:
actually the stand emphasises just how highly Chinese people will like the MG marque.

As we all know the MG badge is an Octogon and as we equally know 8 is an auspicious number in Chinese cultures, hence the reason why so many Chinese takeaways/restaurants have octagonal windows and doorways (or at least they do in Australia).
I was going to say...

That entrance reminds me of a Chinese garden. Normally I'd call it tacky but this seems quite apt.

Actually while 8 might signify fortune, the Chinese tend to favour even numbers from a feng shui perspective, even means balance, yin and yang and all that, hence no odd shaped furniture will adorn a traditional chinaman's home.

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
The first thing I saw in that pic was the entrance...the MG Octagon..this is MG using the heritage of the brand...and understanding it...I think they are using it well

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
OK, so Patrick noticed the octagonal entrance and exit doors, but did nobody notice that the entire stand is octagonal? Or that the plinth the ZT is on is octagonal...

Anyway, the MG octagon may be taking centre stage but don't forget that other logo thats been on my avatar the last few months - finally its made a public appearence:

Chairman Wang Hao Liang speaking about "奥思丁" (Austin).

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
The Chinese press have now started reporting on this event so after I have read about 30 papers, the best translated bits will be on the Chinese news thread sometime this evening along with some more pictures...

(Although so far the press don't appear to have had any photographers there!)

General summary from the Nanjing Daily:

"Nanjing Automobile Group Company Ltd., Wang-liang, director of the Economic Research Institute of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Focusing on independent innovation, has done a brilliant keynote address."

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Windy said:
The Chinese press have now started reporting on this event so after I have read about 30 papers, the best translated bits will be on the Chinese news thread sometime this evening along with some more pictures...

(Although so far the press don't appear to have had any photographers there!)

General summary from the Nanjing Daily:

"Nanjing Automobile Group Company Ltd., Wang-liang, director of the Economic Research Institute of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Focusing on independent innovation, has done a brilliant keynote address."
I see industry speculation is that Nanjing are going to use the Austin brand for all their domestic production in China and the MG brand for the rest of the world markets.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
genpk said:
I see industry speculation is that Nanjing are going to use the Austin brand for all their domestic production in China and the MG brand for the rest of the world markets.
Not sure I follow the logic of restricting Austin to just China. It seem more Logical to use MG in Europe, Australia and America. But then to use Austin in places like India (where Austin is still a respected brand). Surely the best solution is to use the brand which is strongest in the given territory. Either that or just use one brand and therefore minimise additional costs......

Unless Austin is to be used for down market cars?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts