MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread's title says it all.
What's your favorite post 1995 MG Rover car?
Please specify why you like that model in particular and post a small picture of your chosen car in your favorite colour (preview image in the gallery works fine).

I have a weak spot for the MK2 MG ZS 180 Saloon(facelift), it looks so much better than the previous ZS and the 45 with that bodykit.
The interior looks really nice too.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
It could only be one car: The MG ZS.

I can remember reading pre-release material on the Zed cars and fearing the worst for the ZS. I mean, Rob Oaldaker hardly had the most ideal platform to build a driver's car with the Rover 45, its sister the Honda Civic already been superceded by a new model at the time. I feared that it could have been the car that would have been MG's undoing, but what a transformation!

MG-Rover managed to turn a pootling old man's car into a corner eating monster, which old and yound alike loved, and probably generated more sales than what they ever could have imagined. To then implement a facelift that was even more outrageous as it was, was just insanity.

But it worked.

That is why I love the MG ZS, it was a car which stook two fingers up at common sense and turned out better for it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The TF is my favourite, at least for looks. The MGF was a good looking little car, but is fugly in comparison to the more masculine TF. I prefer it in XPG, but that, pearl black, or this lovely (trophy?) blue are all superb....

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liam Olf, I think you're unfair when labeling the 45 as an old man's car. that's the reputation it has in the UK (and only there) but it's a really good platform for tunning.
its steering is precise and responsive, which the zs improved even more with the sporty suspentions.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
r0ver said:
Liam Olf, I think you're unfair when labeling the 45 as an old man's car. that's the reputation it has in the UK (and only there) but it's a really good platform for tunning.
its steering is precise and responsive, which the zs improved even more with the sporty suspentions.
I had a 400. They are in no way a sporty drive, its clearly set up as a comfortable low speed ride, and it shows when you enter corners, its rolls a fair bit, and its not go amazing levels of grip either. Dont get me wrong, it may well be a great platform for tuning, and is very good at what it is, but its got an old mans image for a reason - and I'm saying that after owning one.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own one, changed the wheels to sporty ones and now the handling is superb.
I know that with the factory tyres and suspentions it's not meant to go fast in corners, that's why I said it's a good platform for tunning, not that it's a rocket on rails in standard form :)

my point was that the ZS is such a good car because of its 45 heritage. that's all!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
r0ver said:
I own one, changed the wheels to sporty ones and now the handling is superb.
I know that with the factory tyres and suspentions it's not meant to go fast in corners, that's why I said it's a good platform for tunning, not that it's a rocket on rails in standard form :)
Nowhere close if we're honest! Its a great car underneath, its just got all the old mans options bolted on as standard. People would comment how comfortable mine was when over bad surfaces or speed bumps, but then they'd get brown trousers when i showed them how it liked to slide when the **** got twisty...

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
The 25 gets my vote. It carried on the 200's styling well and it hasn't dated from the outside - this was one of the plus points given by many critics. The interior of the facelifted editions helped the range even further. The 25 was also being sold at correct prices (well at least initially) And of course it spawned different incarnations such as the nice streetwise:)

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
certainly - my favourite 200 bubble was the BRM.

my favourite 2000-2004 rover 25's have to be in GTi or iXL trim.
and all 2004-05 facelift 25s are nice but it its even better with leather and alloys. Body coloured bumper inserts are for the better too.

Streetwises are lovely unmodified (as long as its not the base model) - modded ones look a bit tacky and overdone.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ROVER: A good car was the last 800 which was a good repersentation of what a Rover should have been. But my choice for a rover is a bit of a stupid choice becase it never made it in to production, the Rover 75 Coupe. (Photo from the Galleries)

MG: To make a good car it needs to be desirable, full of character and have a appeal which lasts for yearts so its easily the MG TF:

(even though i cant fit in the TF!)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Im really tempted to say ZS mk1. Loved it from the start and seeing it race in the BTCC was a great spectacle for any MG fan. The mk2 was just as nice to look at but I thought the plastic bodykits looked a bit over the top.

But Im going to say the 200 bubble as that was my first MGR car and I loved it until the day it was written off.

I may change that statement when I my compensation comes through and I can get a Zed! :rocker:

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Liam Olf said:
It could only be one car: The MG ZS.

I can remember reading pre-release material on the Zed cars and fearing the worst for the ZS. I mean, Rob Oaldaker hardly had the most ideal platform to build a driver's car with the Rover 45, its sister the Honda Civic already been superceded by a new model at the time. I feared that it could have been the car that would have been MG's undoing, but what a transformation!

MG-Rover managed to turn a pootling old man's car into a corner eating monster, which old and yound alike loved, and probably generated more sales than what they ever could have imagined. To then implement a facelift that was even more outrageous as it was, was just insanity.

But it worked.

That is why I love the MG ZS, it was a car which stook two fingers up at common sense and turned out better for it.

post-1995 I'd have to agree with you on the ZS, that one looks a lot like mine (though without the mudflaps) but the Mk1 was arguably prettier (if not as sharky) in certain respects. Certainly easier to fit mudflaps to!

For the 1990s as a whole I would probably say the beautiful, and accomplished, 420 GSi Tourer (can't get this link to show the image)http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showphoto.php/photo/5120/cat/500/ppuser/2442

·
Registered
196 Posts
The MG ZS MK2 facelift definately .............converting mine to the mk2 ... the ZT/75 are old men`s car`s ;) you know who you are lmao..........

Download ESQ

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mattie007 said:
Im really tempted to say ZS mk1. Loved it from the start and seeing it race in the BTCC was a great spectacle for any MG fan. The mk2 was just as nice to look at but I thought the plastic bodykits looked a bit over the top.

But Im going to say the 200 bubble as that was my first MGR car and I loved it until the day it was written off.

I may change that statement when I my compensation comes through and I can get a Zed! :rocker:
doesn't the racing version have even more plastic bodikitting? :)

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
ChrisMG said:
The 25 is in every way a Rover.
I strongly disagree there. The Rover p5 is in every way a Rover, the 95-99 Rover 420 saloon is in every way a Rover, and the Rover 75 is in every way a Rover. The 25 is small little hatchback and lets face it, it isn't as well built as other Rovers.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts