MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also what speed do you guys get in 5th gear. I was tearing down the motorway the other day to see if I could max out the car. The car just managed over 90-95 MPH in 5th. It'll get to about 110 MPH in 4th slowly, but I think that's it.
Surely it should be doing more than 110 MPH

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It'll do 70mph. No need for more, especially on a public forum ;)

But I would have expected more had you been somewhere like Pod.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've had my 220SDi, which has a book top speed the same as the 214 (115mph), at a AP22-verified 122mph at Bruntingthorpe proving grounds before I started doing any mods to it (apart from ZR hairpins, which lengthened the final drive slightly). The speedo was showing just shy of 130mph at this speed. Your 214 shouldn't have much difficulty hitting a similar top end. Is it the 86bhp version or the 103bhp?

Andy

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Andy I do not think they had the same outputs as the current range of 25 engines. There wear 3 outputs starting at 75PS 8V. The other two escape me at the mo but I will try and find them out. Also the outputs wear different on the I model and SI model.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Got to an indicated 110mph easily with myne, could go more but with 130k on it i don't want to push it too much :)

Think that speed was at about 4.5k rpm in 5th :D

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
projectgaz said:
RU 8v or 16v?

that's the most improtant thing, if it maxes out at 90 ish then i would put money on it being a 8V

i have a mk3 216si and have had a inducated 130 but that was on a slight incline, max on flat is about 120 - 125

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a mk3 214i 16v and it tops out aronud the 115 maybe just below it but it pulls the whole way, even fifth gear pulls well!!! no mods by the way

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is a 214i 16v Mk3 unmodded except for 17inch straights with 205/40's on. I think the rolling radius is more or less the same as the original rims and tyres tho.

I think if I pushed the car it might just get to 100 MPH in 5th and may reach 115 MPH in 4th, but I always end up bottling it cuz it takes a while to get it up there.

I need something like a runway to test it properly.

STU...I don't generally give it hell for leather down the motorway, I'd just like to know what the cars top whack is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I dont see how ur gettin the higher speed in 4th, I find my car (214 16v mk3, no mods) pulls intself to 110 pretty easily, never gone over that but I could if I wasn't a wimp
Ofcourse this was on private land and I wouldn't dream of exceeding 70mph on the british motorway system
ahem

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Had indicated 127 outta mine on fairly flat road (Yes it was my private airport runway ;) ) . I imagine thats around 115mph in real life, which is what its quoted at, i think.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i did 117mph when mine had a 1.4 engine now i have a 1.6 and the fastest its been is 110mph, but there was more left.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've had an indicated 116mph from my 1.4 16v, then got scared! It still felt like it had a bit more to go aswell.

According to my mate's road angel GPS thingy, my speedo overreads by about 3-4mph, so i'd agree with the quoted 115mph.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd ignore the GPS speed, it doesn't work the same as ur speedo, it measures how much didtance u've covered over short time intervals and averages out so it wont give u a 'current' speed it'll give u the average for the last 20 seconds or somethin

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
got bout 122 out of my 1.4 wen it was standard, on my private road.

Not taking into acount of the sppedo and all that.

Sie

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Sie said:
got bout 122 out of my 1.4 wen it was standard, on my private road.

Not taking into acount of the sppedo and all that.

Sie

well come on then, what ya had now then :dddc:

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
that wud be telling but, it goes of the clock, remember they are 214 clocks tho.

but for me it isnt how fast it goes, it is how quick it gets there :hyper:

Sie

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
projectgaz said:
I dont see how ur gettin the higher speed in 4th, I find my car (214 16v mk3, no mods) pulls intself to 110 pretty easily, never gone over that but I could if I wasn't a wimp
Ofcourse this was on private land and I wouldn't dream of exceeding 70mph on the british motorway system
ahem
Well most cars will get higher speeds in 4th than 5th because of the higher acheivable revs in 4th. You won't be able to get any where near red line in 5th and that's where you need to be.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ashy said:
Well most cars will get higher speeds in 4th than 5th because of the higher acheivable revs in 4th. You won't be able to get any where near red line in 5th and that's where you need to be.

My chipped Sdi will sit quite happily on the rev limiter in fifth :)
Speedo shows about 126 - the smoke is pretty impressive as well

Regards

Jamie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts