MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....remove curbing marks from alloy wheels. am thinking file/sandpaper. im sure some of you have had a go at removing these, cause mine are terrible. (not my driving, like that when i got em)
thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
it depends how bad they are fella if there just the black curbing marks then if you get some decent alloys wheel cleaner then with abit of tlc and abit of time spent it should come off

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
na, theyve like been grinded alround on each wheel. and at some parts theyve got little gashes in em.
its deffo metal work to look proper again.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
expensive no doubt. i am prepared to spray the whole lot, so matching the colours wouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i only paid £50 for the lot. set of 16" momo, gt's. have been curbed right the way round on most of em.
you see im a student, which makes me a diy freak.

·
Registered
182 Posts
dac said:
i only paid £50 for the lot. set of 16" momo, gt's. have been curbed right the way round on most of em.
you see im a student, which makes me a diy freak.

Have a go mate! you'll never learn unless you do!, how ever, with ur efforts and cost of paint, i would save ur student loan up and do wheel by wheel! ;)

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I assume you'd need to get them rebalanced as well..? Have a crack at it, and post up your results - might be interested in having a go with some I've got here..

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg said:
I assume you'd need to get them rebalanced as well..? Have a crack at it, and post up your results - might be interested in having a go with some I've got here..
will contemplate how to go about it first, cause theyve got a nice shine to em. but id like to sort all the curbin out and respray every bit of them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've done a few sets of alloys in the last year or so - my main tip is take plenty of time when you are doing them, cos if you want them to look good its going to take you a while.

In terms of matching paint colours, as the earlier messages have suggested, its not easy, so you are best filing down the kerb marks, lightly sanding the whole wheel to give a 'key' for the primer to stick to, then prime and paint, followed by lacquer.

If its a Rover / MG wheel set, the colour for most (if not all?) alloys is MNH Silver Sparkle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts