MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a 1.8 VVc engine and gearbox (the one with the limited slip diff) worth?
Off a 65K miles BRM, new head gasket, all new belts, new spark plugs, Wiring loom, ecu but no key fobs, When i bought it I was told it had a piper exhaust cam on, but not sure how to check? so presume to have standard cam on.
Just after a general idea what it's worth as its just taking space in my garage at the moment.
I bought it to replace mine when my timing belt came off, but when i stripped my engine down there was only minimal damage so i just swapped heads for a while untill i had re-built my original head.
The engine is currently in my garage with the head off, but i'm going to put it back together this weekend and put it up for sale

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Bearing in mind that new heads with valves are about a grand on there own and a complete engine nearer to £2k I'd say £500 is a reasonable price for a s/h full engine and gearbox.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bearing in mind that new heads with valves are about a grand on there own and a complete engine nearer to £2k I'd say £500 is a reasonable price for a s/h full engine and gearbox.
According to Rimmer Bros a 1.8 160ps VVC engine has a rrp of £3489(inc vat):eek:
They're advertising it as a clearence bargain for £1750(inc vat)
That price is JUST the engine NO ancilleries or g/box included

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yep I bought a decent Vi off ebay for £350 with a bit of accident damage where the bonnet had flipped up into the windscreen. Although saying that I'd say ask £500 for it considering the good condition.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Rimmer Bros a 1.8 160ps VVC engine has a rrp of £3489(inc vat):eek:
They're advertising it as a clearence bargain for £1750(inc vat)
That price is JUST the engine NO ancilleries or g/box included
This is the 143bhp engine, not the 160. it does include the gearbox though, along with the alternator etc. but i cant vouch for any service history as i haven't had the engine from new obviously. All i can say is i've had the head skimmed and put new head gasket on along with new belts and plugs

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i used the head on my originl engine i noticed signs that a valve head had come off at some point in the engines life. i needed the car running quickly so used it as it was anyway and had no problems. The only reason i swapped the heads back over when i repaired my original is that the two heads are slightly different where the oil is fed into the vvc actuator and i'm not sure if there's two slightly different engines or not so thought it best to keep each engine with it's original head
When i put the head back with this engine i thought it best to have it skimmed to ensure it's fine. They told me they took off 7 thou, is that a lot for skimming? where the valves sit there is still slight "dents" in one chamber but didn't affect the running when it was on my engine. When i had it skimmed i asked about the dents, but the shop told me it was fine. I can take pictures if this helps?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Surely the limited slip diff in the gearbox will be worth a fair bit as my understanding is people don't sell them too often!
Only worth more to mugs though. But there are plenty on fleabay ;)

The VVC doesn't have the torque to need it and it just slows down the acceleration.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
£350 for the engine on its own, £500 with the box seems reasonable.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
You did well then.

I can buy 143bhp VVC engines for £350 all day long around here.

160's do come a little dearer, but only by £50-75.

There are some who pay anything though. Nice when you find one :D

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
3 or 4 of them round here that sell them for that price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts