MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the MG ZR new for £8500, now if MG/ROVER goes under... what effect will it have on the value of the car??

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
probably has teh same depreciation as other zrs have had, i cant see todays news making any difference to be honest. if you bought it new theres going to be ahigh depreciation anyways - as on all new cars within there first 3 - 5 years

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yeah it will drop, but even if MG-Rover didn't go bust it would have dropped quite a bit anyway as a new car.
The question is how much will prices drop, it could be quite a lot depending on the state of MGR, surrounding companies and warranties etc.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Of course, it could end up being one of the last few ZRs built, which could have the opposite effect a few years down the line.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
I was talking to a dealer a few weeks ago. Prices have already dropped for 2nd hand cars because of problems at Rover blah...blah blah.

I'm sure recent events won't help but you can still drive a great car. Go and have a look how much a BMW looses in its first year. It'll make you feel loads better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like any new car the value plumets as soon as you drive off the forecourt. However recent events may have more impact on the value, in years to come it may become a classic so hang in there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In a moment of maddness today i asked Auto plant how much they would give me for my 2wk old 05 plate 300 mile Rover 75 Conn SE CDTI, Your love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£10.000

Have a guess what i said!
Im not getting rid of my wonderfull car anyway, I will drive it around with pride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Thanks Lads. Of Cause I Expected It To Depreciat As Soon As I Drive Off Etc.i Have No Intention Of Selling Her Off Not For A Few's Years Yet Anyway.once Again Thanks

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
rrvtom said:
In a moment of maddness today i asked Auto plant how much they would give me for my 2wk old 05 plate 300 mile Rover 75 Conn SE CDTI, Your love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£10.000

Have a guess what i said!
Im not getting rid of my wonderfull car anyway, I will drive it around with pride.
Was that auto planet in Millbrook Southampton by any chance? :mad:
Ken

·
Registered
123 Posts
At the minute apparently prices are a couple of grand down because of the "troubles" but the trade expects prices to slowly reestablish over a period of months whether or not MGR stop production. So the advice is to sit tight - the only losers will be people who panic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was in the middle of changing my MG. Not even MG dealers want it. At least it's still a great car, just doesn't have a hatchback!!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Was at an uncle arnolds dealer today while my car was being serviced. They had some MGR stuff on the forcourt. an 04 Plate ZR with 5k miles on it. for £7600, a W plate R25IL but unknown millage(car details wearnt on display), this one was £3700 and a 53 plate R75 Tourer for £10k also unknown millage (I didnt look :eek:)

To me those prices seem to be holding well, similer to how they where this time last year (I use the 25 as an example as they always held an £1000 premium over that of a same age brava)

·
Registered
169 Posts
With the mileage I do I'm not to bothered - I do about 30k a year on average in a 105+ ZR, it will be worth very little in 3 years anyway due to the mileage, so this will have little effect on me in theory.

It will probably be in the car magazines in 18 months time as 'the best second hand buy' or something along that vein.

Seeing them comments above there are some good buys by the looks of things at the present moment.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Some people are too cought up in the resale value of their car.
In the end I view it as ive bought the car because I want it, not because I want to retain money when I sell it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts