MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you buy for £1000 car wise, if you had to buy on a budget?

I'd buy a Rover 600Ti for ride/comfort and speed :evil:
On a weird note I've always fancied a Triumph Spitfire, it'd be rusting too bits for £1000 but it'd sure be fun!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I dont no how much it would cost or how hard I would have to search but I would love a MK1 Rover 827 Sterling or MK1 820 fastback.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
547 Posts
I'd get a 623 GSI with air con and leathers and a CD multi changer.

You should get a good one for £1k. The Ti version could be a bit unreliable or so I'm told.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Jim K said:
The Ti version could be a bit unreliable or so I'm told.
Who told you that? T-16s are bulletproof engines, even without the Klinger gaskets.

Don't beleive all the "get a Rover with a Honda engine, or none at all lark". A pre-'95 K-Series 214 can get to 120,000 miles with the factory-fit gaskets with no problem if you look after them properly. T-Series engines are basically O-Series MGB engines converted to 16V, and are thus bulletproof, if a little old-tech.

Have a word with Santa20 or MGJohn if you don't beleive me. ;)

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Liam Olf said:
Who told you that? T-16s are bulletproof engines, even without the Klinger gaskets.

Don't beleive all the "get a Rover with a Honda engine, or none at all lark". A pre-'95 K-Series 214 can get to 120,000 miles with the factory-fit gaskets with no problem if you look after them properly. T-Series engines are basically O-Series MGB engines converted to 16V, and are thus bulletproof, if a little old-tech.

Have a word with Santa20 or MGJohn if you don't beleive me. ;)
Stonkingly quick seeing as the roots of the engine are rather elderly. Wasnt the MGB reputed to not have the best of engines in terms of performance (until the GTV8?) Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Rover_King said:
Is that the official name for 800 coupe's?
The Vitesse trim was given to all performance 800s with the T-16 Turbo fitted. Previous to this, it was worn by Rover SD1 V8s and MK1 Rover 216s, and was Rover's GTi in a way.

The name should have been used in place of "GSi", "GTi" and "Ti" across the range of Rover's performance models IMO.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Stonkingly quick seeing as the roots of the engine are rather elderly. Wasnt the MGB reputed to not have the best of engines in terms of performance (until the GTV8?) Or am I wrong?
Well, I suppose 90-odd BHP from a 2.0 8V in 1962 wasn't to be scoffed at...

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Liam Olf said:
The Vitesse trim was given to all performance 800s with the T-16 Turbo fitted. Previous to this, it was worn by Rover SD1 V8s and MK1 Rover 216s, and was Rover's GTi in a way.

The name should have been used in place of "GSi", "GTi" and "Ti" across the range of Rover's performance models IMO.
the mk1 800 vitesse started life with the v6 cant remember if it started with the original 2.5 but it definately had the 2.7
i looked at one in a dealers the other day
apparantly they are becoming collectable!!!!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Liam Olf said:

Yeah I realise that. Just wondering if all 800 coupe's where "Vitesse's"?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Rover_King said:
Yeah I realise that. Just wondering if all 800 coupe's where "Vitesse's"?
Those with the T-16 Turbo, yes.

MGR_Petrolhead said:
I thought the coupe was just in "coupe" form only?
Nope, you had Sterling, Vitesse, etc trim like with the rest of the range. Vitesse Coupes are like rocking horse poo though I'm lead to believe.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts