MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had enough of spending a fortune on Bosch windscreen wipers, I seem to have to get them two or three times ayear, at £15 each one!

I've always liked the smooth running across the glass, God I couldn't stand what my old grandfather puts up with. Squeak! Squeak! cause he's to tight to get anything other than pound shops finest!

I suppose I'm asking which is the best but a bargain?

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Do you use the flat blades? I did fit a cheap set to the rover first of all, but they didnt last very well, so replaced them with some more expensive bosch flat blades and they were superb.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
I have had enough of spending a fortune on Bosch windscreen wipers, I seem to have to get them two or three times ayear, at £15 each one!

I've always liked the smooth running across the glass, God I couldn't stand what my old grandfather puts up with. Squeak! Squeak! cause he's to tight to get anything other than pound shops finest!

I suppose I'm asking which is the best but a bargain?
Then do not pay a fortune for them .... ;)

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showpost.php?p=3545534&postcount=2

These past frosty mornings, I've seen neighbours operate their wipers before the ice holding them fast to the screens is melted. That can destroy the best wipers in no time. If they are really stuck in the frozen ice on the screen, can blow the wiper motor's fuse.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I agree with rovermatt and MGJohn, you are being ripped off.

Don't think even halfords charge as much as £15 per blade.

A pair of Bosch SP blades for a 400 shouldn't cost more than £8 or a tenner at most.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I paid about £3 for 2 blades from Tesco when I got the 200 in March - driven daily since then and they are still good, no streaking, smearing or owt else like that. Most of the summer I just had water as screenwash too, no additives. Holding up well.

Prior to that, had Wilco ones on the Hyundai. They were good too, lasted in excess of 12 months - that car had a regular coating of RainX on the glass tho, so the wipers were used less often, think they were £2 each - did front and rear for £6.

Cheepo ones for me from now on :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Never buy Bosch blades from places like Halfords, the mark up they put on them is huge! I normally get them from Euro Car parts and pay around £3 for each blade. The last set of Bosch blades i bough didnt last very long at all so went a bought OEM ones instead. Unfortunately they didnt last any longer so will be going back to Bosch blades again i think.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mock if you want but i get the cheap £10 a set Ebay flat blade ones whenever i buy a new car and find them spot on, although whenever i wash the car i spray some window cleaner on a rag and wipe the blades until they are clean, seems to make them last a while!

Sister had her wipers nicked off her 09 Corsa D and cheapest replacements was £30 for the set :O

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I paid just over £8 for the last set for my 45V6 in Aug. I tried the Tesco and Wilko ones in the past and they were useless.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
702 Posts
I got some Bosch wiper blades for my mum's Almera a few months ago from www.wiperblades.co.uk - good service from them and the wiper blades perform very well. :) I prefer older-style wiper blades as opposed to the new flat-blades, though.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I use tesco's ones nowerdays, appart from been very cheap, they actually seem to be a better blade than other expensive ones I've tried. Double win really.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Glad I fitted those ebay Bosch blades to my Flame Red 600 today as I had to go out in this morning's heavy rain. They worked a treat. Nice smooth, clean, silent wipes with no nasty noises like the old ones which came with the car.

Had to go out giving my cousin a lift back after her Saxo was flat bedded to the local maindealer as it's clutch had 'failed' again ~ it was renewed three weeks ago costing over £400 and has only done a dozen miles since. Failed on the way back from the supermarket with the little car loaded with shopping. I tried to drive it before Green Flag were called but, nothing doing ... the car would move an inch or two only even in gear with lots of revs. very annoying for her.

French cars are fragile ~ well the few I've had direct experience with all have been.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Sounds like they didn't tighten up the clutch cover bolts John??? Never heard of a clutch failing like that after just 12 miles!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Sounds like they didn't tighten up the clutch cover bolts John??? Never heard of a clutch failing like that after just 12 miles!
They will phone my cousin when they know what the problem is. If it was some simple oversight like you suggest, doubt they'll admit it. We shall see next week when they look at the car. Apparently, it has the same gearbox as some Metros and other Rovers.

Did not know that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just use cheap ones from Wilkinsons, they always last me over 12 months (about 12,000miles per year) and i can get through about 5 pairs before i amount to some more expensive ones.

No problems with smearing or anything like that, always a good clean wipe. I even use them on the tractors and they have to wipe mud and cow muck off.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
The biggest problem with wipers is that people dont clean their screen properly.

Every so often I wipe the whole screen down with AG Tar & Glue Remover and wipe the edge of the blade down with same. Wash the whole thing with clean water, stand back and be amazed. Same thing will work with neat screen wash so no need to spend mega bucks.

The main culprit is trucks throwing up diesel onto the screen which at the end of the day is an oily grease. Can you imagine how much trouble your blades have simply wiping this off with clean water?

Simples as Alexander says. Before you spend money on new blades do this clean and more often than not you'll see a big improvement.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
836 Posts
Your getting ripped off!

Bosh are £3.95 each at my local car parts shop and are fantastic!
If that is how the manufacturer's name is spelt on the packaging, then they are counterfeits.

I bought some cheap £3.49 + P&P blades on eBay where seller did not specify the brand in the listing, and they arrived in packaging marked "BOCSH" [i.e. Mis-spelt Bosch] and are obvious knock-offs.

They have lasted over a year on my Rover 75 so I don't feel ripped off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts