MG-Rover.org Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
This has gone a little off topic but I believe that both diesels and petrols have their advantages and disadvantages

I can see the appeal of a torque of a diesel but they're just not for me. Ignoring the noise (which I really don't like) I find the very narrow power band very frustrating.

The diesel which I drive frequently is work's 2008 VW Caddy van with the 1.9 litre TDI engine. Yes it's an old engine but when driving it you get nothing...nothing...brief surge of power then nothing.

I personally prefer the responsiveness of a petrol engine and economically a diesel makes no sense for me as I don't drive enough miles in a year

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,886 Posts
This has gone a little off topic but I believe that both diesels and petrols have their advantages and disadvantages

I can see the appeal of a torque of a diesel but they're just not for me. Ignoring the noise (which I really don't like) I find the very narrow power band very frustrating.

The diesel which I drive frequently is work's 2008 VW Caddy van with the 1.9 litre TDI engine. Yes it's an old engine but when driving it you get nothing...nothing...brief surge of power then nothing.

I personally prefer the responsiveness of a petrol engine and economically a diesel makes no sense for me as I don't drive enough miles in a year
Above all else, it is the very narrow useable powerband that I find the thing I really dislike most. You get used to it. The powerband in my diesel R600 was OK and I covered several long journeys in it in alittle more time than in the 620ti ~ traffic volume and conditions making the two cars have a similar point to point journey times ... However, after a few hundred miles in the Diesel 600, it was always so much nicer to get back into the 600ti. As soon as you do that, the fuel disadvantage between the two cars seems to disappear ... in a trice...:)

When talking to other drivers such as work colleagues with diesels, I have always found that many diesel drivers confuse the need to make early and frequent gearchanges [ because of as ajgoodfellow mentions "brief surge of power then nothing." ]with quicker acceleration. When 'matching strides' with even the latest VAG products in the TLGP, many drivers are indeed confused when an old Montego or Rover Turbo leaves them for dead ... in a trice...;) Even today, a 2.4 Alfa Diesel driver cockily moved over whilst at the same time flooring it ( the black plume from the exhaust a dead giveaway ) not expecting my old Rover to pass him as easily as it did ...

Well, why not ... ;)

Apart from the Rover 600 and a lady friend's Corsa Diesel, the only other diesel I've driven recently was a new Mercedes~Benz provided by my employers as were not allowed to use our own vehicles. At the end of the long day driving that, it was a delight to get back into the 620ti ~ it really was.

·
Banned
3,933 Posts
I said that exact same thing, how come i dont get any MG John praise??? hmmm??? :p
Just another example of modern Britain, excelling in getting it wrong in the former green and pleasant.........obvious innit?

.................and why not?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
People buying new cars from showrooms are buying diesels EVEN given the fact that they cost £1000 more than the petrol equivalent. Why? Because they cost a fraction to tax and they will do nearly double the miles to a gallon of fuel.
But what exactly is the petrol equivalent to a direct injection turbo diesel? An indirect injection normally aspirated petrol that costs less? Or, one could argue, a direct injection petrol turbo. These are not widespread yet but are being introduced and I think then we will see a more even playing field between the two fuel types.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,886 Posts
Just another example of modern Britain, excelling in getting it wrong in the former green and pleasant.........obvious innit?

.................and why not?
You learn well graffhopper .... why not indeed.

Me old granny used to say, them's that seek praise .... I've forgotten the rest ... what was the question again ?

Only ...

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
I was thinking about the MG6 today so did a google search again to see some images - I really like it:) the photos of the red MG6 with the spoked wheels are the best -

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I was thinking about the MG6 today so did a google search again to see some images - I really like it:) the photos of the red MG6 with the spoked wheels are the best -
I can see a hint of Rover TCV in that pic.. I think it will actually look good in the flesh.. the roof is a genuine fastback.. tis growing on me..

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
8,748 Posts
I can see a hint of Rover TCV in that pic.. I think it will actually look good in the flesh.. the roof is a genuine fastback.. tis growing on me..
It does indeed.......... but how good does the N1 look off to the side?? Im very excited to see the production version

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
cant wait to see these in the flesh come on SAIC im getting impatiant

(yes i know they are starting production in LB late next year) but i want to se one in the flesh now!

·
Registered
351 Posts
As good as I thought they were at the time they're very dated, especially the pre-facelift ZS

I do like the new MG6 and I hope that it does well. Hopefully there'll be more cars down the line like an MG version of the Roewe 350/N1

·
Registered
mg_maestro
75 Posts
I think the MG6 is a good looking car, It looks abit like a Igsignia, It should sell well and with a price tag of £12000 It could be a big seller.

The price has alot to say for its self, its undercutting, mondeo and astra etc, its only real rival is the proton and kia and those lot.

And as we know the older generation like mg rovers I think it will sell reasonably well.

Is a shame that there is not any uk car manfact anymore but we can only hope some millionair will open his wallet one day and produce once again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
wonder if it will develop into a full range?....i would only be able to buy an estate version due to my load/person/dog carrying requirements...

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
wonder if it will develop into a full range?....i would only be able to buy an estate version due to my load/person/dog carrying requirements...
The only estate on the schedule is from the MG5 series - should be good for the dog at least :)

121 - 138 of 138 Posts