MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That story seemed to run and run and never went anywhere. Do you think they were trying to pick it up for nothing so held out?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Not sure but what were they seriously going to do with it.

It would have needed work, dont think they could even afford the shipping costs to move the robots out there!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Maybe they intended to move the 25/ 45 line to Poland and use the 75 line in the UK to make the RDx60 and 75. The 25/ 45 line could then make the 25/ 45, the 75 and the RDx60 for Eastern Europe. SAIC of course would have installed new lines in China...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
198 Posts
@all : Firstly, here's the official page of FSO :
http://www.fso-sa.com.pl/

Second, FSO is building the Matiz and the Lanos, at the moment.
FSO is partly owned by GM and the majority of FSO belongs to "Ukravto", a ukrainian car company (http://www.ukrauto.ua/eng/production.htm).
It is planed, that the production of the Chevrolet Aveo will move to FSO at the end of this year.

with kind regards

GAGA KBE

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Didn't the Polish government bail them out, either them or the Russians? Or do a deal with GM to buy a stake in FSO. I thought I knew, now I am just confused

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
I did hear that finance was the problem. MGR and the Polish Government thought they were on the verge of concluding a deal with AMAR (which was later to appear on the scene again following MGR's demise), but whatever happened or did not happen, no final agreement was ever reached between the parties.

American-Arabian AMAR eyes USD 250 mln investment in Daewoo-FSO car-making spin-off NSC

American-Arabian Investment and Development Holding Inc. AMAR is considering capital involvement of USD 250 mln along with MG Rover in New Small Company (NSC), the car-making unit to be created on the basis of the bankrupt Daewoo-FSO's assets, MG Rover vice-chairman Nick Stephenson told Interfax on Wednesday.

"We have been extremely impressed with what we have learnt so far, but we still have much to discuss to reach a final agreement with AMAR," Stephenson said. "We are about to have talks with AMAR's Hamburg office vice-president, and the talks will concern the earlier mentioned USD 250 mln involvement in NSC," he added.

Stephenson also said that Rover is impressed with AMAR's speed of operations. "In this situation we are confident that all matters will be completed by the deadline," he said.

MG Rover's shareholders are expected to make a final decision on involvement in NSC on February 17.

The Warsaw-based Daewoo-FSO's shareholders approved Tuesday the transfer of shares and assets from Daewoo-FSO to NSC. Daewoo-FSO assets worth PLN 1.15 bln to PLN 1.33 bln are to be transferred to NSC. NSC will also receive the most important plants in Daewoo-FSO, including welding shops, an assembly line and a paint shop.

Rover announced in mid-December that it was seeking to organize some USD 250 mln of financing for operations at the stricken Daewoo-FSO. It is willing to help boost NSC's assets to a total of USD 765 mln, including via the injection of trademark rights

Daewoo-FSO, once the country's number two car firm, has seen its market share collapse over the past two years as the Polish car market has slumped. The bankruptcy of its parent, South Korea's Daewoo Motor, dealt the company its de facto deathblow. General Motors declined to take over Daewoo-FSO when it agreed to buy Daewoo Motor last year.

Related link: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-22385628_ITM

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I wonder if the 75 design was for a more costly facelift back in 03/4?

The Riley designs look interesting, especially given how topical it is. A lot of Alfa DNA in there. Also topical...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think it was an AutoExpress photoshop IIRC....

Hopefully any designs coming out of a reputable company would have the centre of the grille lining up with the central bonnet crease.....
You noticed that too, very unprofessional. I can draw better cars than that, I just don't go around pretending that I am backed by billionaire investors and that I am buying this company, and that company and that I am highly regarded in the automotive industry, where as the truth is he is obviously living in cuckoo land. I think he once said wait and see, well we have waited and seen nothing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts