MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang,

I'm a newbie tothis forum and also a newbie to MG!! I'm looking to change my car (currently have a for puma 1.7i) and I really like the look of the MG TF BUT I know absolutely nothing about them :O so..... I'm looking for some major help :D

First off, I'm not even sure the difference between a TF (120) TF (200) etc. I know they have suspended manufacture in 2005 but are looking to start again 2007??

I'm keen for a hardtop (obviously with interchangable softtop) but other than that, I am open to any advice and help[ that anyone can give me.

Typical girlie!! Look forward to your responses
:scotland: Miss_furrypenny x

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Welcome "typical girlie"!!! :drool:
Greece welcomes you... :drool:

Well, the TF comes with the following engine specs:

• 1,6 lt with 116 ps
  • 1,8 lt automatic with 120 ps
  • 1,8 lt with 135 ps
  • 1,8 lt vvc with 160 ps

There is no TF 200, and yes production stopped last year but it is going
to commenece again in early 2007.
They all come of course with their soft top hoods
and you can fit a hard top to any of them! also, you do not need to take
the soft top out to install the hard top.

Any other questions before you get your new baby and join our gang???

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
They are great fun to drive. The first topless drive is the best! On top of that you get loads of looks. ;)

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Stiff said:
They are great fun to drive. The first topless drive is the best! On top of that you get loads of looks. ;)
The first topless drive is excellent and it gets better and better after that!!!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
It may seem obvious to some (but it does get overlooked sometimes) but the TF is mid engined (i.e. the engine is behind you) and is rear wheel drive. I mention this for several reasons, one being this means it drives and handles quite differently to a more conventional car with the engine in the front and driving the front wheels. It also mean maintenance is not so easy and costs slightly more. It also means the boot is not huge.
Before you decide to part with any money, I strongly suggest you take one for a test drive (the longer the better) just to make sure you are comfortable with it. Its also worth getting an insurance quote on the models in your price range as this could impact which one you get or can afford.
The specs of the cars and the equipment they come with also differs between models. The model with the highest standard spec is the TF160, but some of the equipment found on the 160 were optional extras on the lower models.
This will give you a bit more info on the different models as well as special editions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome!

When I first got my F, I was disgusted with her (see thread "What Have I done???") Now, one month later, I am falling 'in like' with her, and when you go with the top down, the guys are right, you get loads of looks!

The purring noise of the engine is sey-as-hell and once you figure out to get the roof back up without losing a hand (I still trap mine regularly), you will love every second you spend with it.

I also think that these days, maybe because of the trouble they had last year, MGs are going pretty cheap and you're likely to pick up a bargain.

I am about to buy some plastuc screen polish and an MP3 player for mine now...I'm becoming a car bore......

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Glad to hear you're warming to your Ms Candy, I bought mine last November and now finally loving constant top down motoring. Its all good!
The best thing I ever bought!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, the weather's perfect, now's the time to buy!

I am already considering upgrading my MGF next year to a newer model, although I love the shape of it more than the newer ones. It's really rounded at the front. But then maybe I'm just being a proud owner :eek:)

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Great cars! (but then, I'm biased :p )

I have an F, not a TF, but it's still the same topless driving pleasure :bgrin:

I love my F.. it's helped to keep me smiling, through some rough times, lately.
I'm also pleased to say I've never trapped my hands in the roof :lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dee said:
Great cars! (but then, I'm biased :p )

I have an F, not a TF, but it's still the same topless driving pleasure :bgrin:

I love my F.. it's helped to keep me smiling, through some rough times, lately.
I'm also pleased to say I've never trapped my hands in the roof :lol:
God, I completely agree with you about the rough times.

The car becomes the girl's best friend (until you can afford diamonds...!)

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I can't see the fascination with diamonds. They just sit there and glitter and shimmer in the light, wheres the fun in that. Where as an MGF/TF is pure pleasure on wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, I can't believe there are so many replies and so soon!

ok, I now have a bit more info to go on and I take all comments seriously - I have to find a nice garage who is selling one so I can take it for a test drive.

Sharky, I take on board everything you say and yes, I am not familiar with a rear wheel drive but as they say, a first time for everything :bgrin:

I must also say, what a nice forum and a nice buch of folk! I'm sure I'll have loads more questions and I still have 5 months before changing my car is an absolute must so I have plenty time to find the right one!! As much as the weather is good HardCandy I may not find the one for me so soon :indiff:

Anyways, do the hard tops come as standard or are they the option??

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Going from a Puma 1.7 with VCT, I would opt for a model with VVC for that "5k rush"

The Puma handles excellently for a FWD car, but a mid engined car will outhandle it all day :)

Just test dive a variety and the right car will find you! :)

Welcome to the forums :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,474 Posts
Hard tops were an option for all but some of the special editions. If you need to buy a HT separately this is a good time to buy but be warned some have been pinched of peoples cars and sold on usually on eBay so you need to check the provenance of any HT you buy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
HardCandy said:
Yeah, the weather's perfect, now's the time to buy!

I am already considering upgrading my MGF next year to a newer model, although I love the shape of it more than the newer ones. It's really rounded at the front. But then maybe I'm just being a proud owner :eek:)
Not at all - many prefer the look of the f to the TF.
All down to preference........

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
Drive a few different ones. Some seem better than others. If you look around you can find ones that have been really well looked after & if you have already tried a few you'll regonise a good one when you see it

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I caught a glimpse of my f as i drove past a garage, got out of my little Tigra and walked towards my f.....and then looked inside it and i fell in love with it.

It's been a pretty rocky ride since I've had it what with HGF and also the cat going on me, resulting in a few thousand ive had to spend on it, but all is good and she is on the up now.

And boy oh boy, the looks we get!!! ;)

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Pete T said:
Not at all - many prefer the look of the f to the TF.
All down to preference........
Woo Hoo! I second that! Can't beat a classic British racing green F :_poke:

Although in the business opposite me there is an 06 plated 160 in that mica indigo colour (was gonna call it imperial blue blue tsch, we're not ford owners.....) which looks spanking gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts