MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. What do most people think Rovers main selling point should be? IMHO it should be saftey. If people want reliable they buy Japanese. Quality and they tend to buy German. So why don't Rover go for safety? Plus I'd rather have a car that breaks down than risk my life in another car....

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Safety is the card that Renault play heavily on. Unless Rover produce Five Star Euro N/CAP cars throughout the range, I cannot see how they can play this card effectively, and they cannot easily achieve this with the range of cars they have now - with the exception of the FWD 75.

Affordable Luxury is what Rover should be about. At the end of the 1980s, Rover were being touted as the 'British BMW' and aiming to go up market. Being bought out by BMW stopped that from happening, but now I think Rover should be going up market again as the 'British Mercedes': producing cars that rival Mercedes for luxury and refinement, but with a very distinct and British character.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
boxwellm said:
Safety is the card that Renault play heavily on. Unless Rover produce Five Star Euro N/CAP cars throughout the range, I cannot see how they can play this card effectively, and they cannot easily achieve this with the range of cars they have now - with the exception of the FWD 75.

Affordable Luxury is what Rover should be about. At the end of the 1980s, Rover were being touted as the 'British BMW' and aiming to go up market. Being bought out by BMW stopped that from happening, but now I think Rover should be going up market again as the 'British Mercedes': producing cars that rival Mercedes for luxury and refinement, but with a very distinct and British character.

I actually agree. Rover could aspire to compete (Long term) with certain Mercedes, or Ideally imo, Audi. MG could go after select B*W's. Obviously MG-R do not have the resources in the short term to go after every market segment, but in the ones that they do intend to vie for they need offer a product that is perceived as being Quality, good value for money and just that little bit different (Not Quirky) than the opposition.

The New MINI fits that bill admirably. It is reasonably well screwed together and overall is very good quality, and it is certainly different in it's presentation and marketing to it's rivals. And it's interior is choc full of surprise and delight features. MG-R need to create a MINI or a Rover 75 ( or Streetwise for that matter) type of Vehicle for all of the market segments they will contend for. Quality, Unique (but handsome or Beautiful) Styling and interiors Stuffed with clever features and jewel like detailing.

The Next Generation Streetwise needs (I think someone else suggested this)to become the Swiss Army knife of small Hatchbacks. The Current Streetwise with the revised interior is getting very close in my estimation to having that MINI "Fun just to look at" factor. You don't even need to drive or own the MINI to enjoy it. It's like the Audi TT, another car that you can just stand there looking at it, simply soaking up the details. You can enjoy it on a vicarious level without actually owning it. However hopefully that admiration ultimately translates into Lust, Want, and "got to have". That is what MG-R's future products need to do elicit... Desire. MG-R should not build any Vanilla/Appliance/Refrigirator get you from A to B cars.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
That is what MG-R's future products need to do elicit... Desire. MG-R should not build any Vanilla/Appliance/Refrigirator get you from A to B cars.
Oh yes. Minus the minor grammatical error, I thoroughly agree with you. Any future Rover had better look bloody good, and thouroughly like a Rover ought.

Do I know it when I see it? yes. What do I think that is? A car wouldn't look out of place being driven by David Bowie or Judi Dench, The Duke of Marlborough or your GP. Something with class but beyond class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts