MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ppl,

I recently have passed my test and i am thinking of getting either of these cars, if u had the one what would you get? As a driver i am not bothered about top end speed although i like it, i am bothered about getting off the line and track days. Prob most of all i want a good looking car and a car that handles well. My main aim (i no it sounds sad) is to dust my mates VTR. I no this is a MG and Rover forum and u may be biased but honestly?

the choices are:

- MG ZR 105+

- SAXO VTR 99'

- HONDA CIVIC 1.4

obviously if i get a vtr 99' it will be the same. but if i get an MG ZR is he going to dust me or will it be close as in i am sat on his ass but he has more power?

i have the finance for the car and the insurance. A question about insurance, what group is the MG ZR 120? i have looked around and some ppl as 9 and others 11 which one is it?

is the difference between the cars so marginal that it will be all down to experience and driving style?

p.s the race will be done on both a drag strip and round a race track

cheers

tom

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
vtr saxo s are made of tin foil and dash is crap!!

my friend has a vtr and said its the worst carhe could have bought

other friend has 1.4 zr, with the skirts and 17s, loves it. nippy too

civics are good cars although the 1400 is not quick

You will **** all over ur mate!

few bolt on mods you see 120 bhp

·
Registered
20 Posts
i own a zr 105, and again my mate has a vtr he came in my zr and loved it so much he wants one now, they are nippy, but you also get practicality and space, they are nice to drive, u wud not be disappointed, especially round the roundabouts, not that i drive too fast lol

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Get the ZR,

although MG support on this website is inevitable, if you take that out it would still be top choice. Lovely to look at, it is the successor in the accessible hot hatch to the saxo. lovely

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
honestly, if your mates VTR is modded as ZR105 wont touch it with identical mods.

if thats all you are concerned about get the VTR, if you want to take into account economy, image, useability everyday then get the ZR, the 1.4 civic wont hack it and hondas are generally expensive to insure

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so do saxo VTR's respond better to mods then, than a MG ZR105? so if he has modded his VTR and i mod my ZR105 with identical mods he will dust me?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Out of those id have the ZR. A good mate of mines got the saxo and althought its a nippy motor, theres little room in it, and it feels quite unstable lowered compared to an MG.

Once you got the basic mods on the Zed, then you will be able to have the power you need and with the styling as well.

Regards. Stuart

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
tom_k said:
so do saxo VTR's respond better to mods then, than a MG ZR105? so if he has modded his VTR and i mod my ZR105 with identical mods he will dust me?
Generally, 103BHP is pretty much at a NASP 1.4's limit. The only thing about the the Rover is, you don't have to mod the engine to get 103BHP like you do with other cars, say the Golf 1.4, as it comes like that as standard, which is actually very high and the best in its class.

The K-Series is a brilliant engine, anyone who says it isn't doesn't know what they're talking about, or have never driven a K-engined car. But the head gaskets are their weak link, catch it early to avoid lasting damage, and if you can, get the youngest model you can. Be wary of vehicles approaching 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000 miles, as they will most likely need them doing, anything over should be fine as chances are they have already been done, but remain vigilant all the same.

The Paxo and ZR are completely different cars. The Saxo is the quickest car, as overall, it is lighter and has a bigger engine, even with half as many valves per cylinder. The ZR is built marginally better, and you get more car for your money. The choice is yours and the only way to come to your conclusion is to test drive both cars for yourself...

·
Registered
mg_zr
370 Posts
tom_k said:
i have the finance for the car and the insurance. A question about insurance, what group is the MG ZR 120? i have looked around and some ppl as 9 and others 11 which one is it?

tom
I've got a 120 Trophy SE and I think they dropped a bit with the MK2 as it has better security/ anti theft features.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been looking on the sax-p website and some1 has also made a thread:

http://www.sax-p.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33160&KW=MG+ZR&PN=0&TPN=2

http://www.sax-p.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26600&KW=MG+ZR&PN=0&TPN=2

They say in one of these posts that the MG ZR have drum brakes at the rear and that this means that they cant go around corners as fast as a VTR however this sorta goes against what i have heard about the ZR's, i have been told u can fly around corners fine and the thing hold very well?

Is the extra eight of a ZR due to it not being made outta tin foil?

thanx for the posts

tom

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ive got a MK2 ZR lowered 35mm on AVOS and the handling is waaaaaaaay better than a VTR, even when it was on standard springs.

my best mate has a VTR and although he can beat me off the line i sit just behind him and as soon as were on the twisties/roundabouts hes mine! ZR is like a go kart and if your wanting to stuff your mate then id lower it first.

Plus the VTR feels cheap and tacky when your sat inside, driving position is so uncomfy if your +6ft.

get the ZR mate, all round better car.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
laugh my arse off, discs on back mean you cant go round corners fast??? what, how would this make a difference? my mate has a rover coupe 1600 honda with drums on back?? does this mean the vtr is better??:lol: lol, get a zr mate, with the 17s as standard and skirts and spoiler, you wont have to do any silly mods like the saxo, which has tiny 14" wheels and nasty interior as std, mg has half leather, waxo does not, seriously they are a nasty car that every chav has, be different mate get a zr, and a few bolt on mods, filter, exhaust system deczt etc , see about 120bhp! go 4 it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look at this review then:

A saxo VTS is faster and quicker than a ZR160 around a track. It is down 40bhp but the saxo handles so much better through the corners. It weighs 200kg less and is far more agile, its a go kart with a big engine around a track.

I have done many track days and saxos often show up a lot of expensive machinery!

A VTR will walk all over a 105 and a 120 on a track no problems what so ever! The VTR is quicker as it is lighter, has more torque with the same amount of power! Its physics at the end of the day! A VTR will make legs on a ZR on the straights and it will absoloutly demolish 1 in a corner!

Oh and thats experience telling, not opinion! I have seen it happen hundreds of times!

For instance......

Which car is going to brake better? A 935kg or an 1150kg car?

The lighter car has discs all round, the heavier car has rear drum brakes!

Which car is going to be able to brake later before turn in? What happens when a car brakes later going into a corner?

Answers easy, it makes up a lot of ground if behind, it exits at a higher speed, and if its in front against a similar powered heavier car it will make mince meat

Its the basics of track racing

That review says it all.

this was the post i was taking about^^

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a very good statement from a saxo owner themselves that sums up alot of saxo owners, what a great comment!!!!!!!!!!

"dont turn into every other vtr owner.. thinkin it can beat anythin with 4 wheels.. just cant accept the fact that they're just your average, every day car.. but with a flashy name. They're only group 7 for a reason ya know..."

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Tell you what tom , believe what you want mate. buy the saxo and be like the lemmings, youve made your mind up. go and buy the plastic skip, i honestly cant see the attraction , btw the vtr s are NOT quick, its laughable really, lol.

here are some reviews for you

Citroen Saxo 1.6i VTR : Curse you citroen
16.05.06 by Lord Winchester

Advantage: looks great, nippy little motor, cheaper than other similar makes and models
Disadvantage: Built by monkeys using tape and pieces of string

:lol:

heres another

Citroen Saxo 1.6i VTR : Oh dear
04.02.03 by Road_knight76

Advantage: Comfy inside, Quiet at speed
Disadvantage: Value drops, Lacking in power, Cannot 'feel' much when driving :lol:

and another

Citroen Saxo 1.6i VTR : If you're 17 and your name is Wayne
19.03.01 by paddythedaddy

Advantage: none
Disadvantage: 2nd hand prices, reliability, build quality, poor status, Citroen badge, owned by muppets. :lol: :lol:

Well i think you get the idea, but please go ahead!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
here tom

What things have gone wrong with the car?

Nothing, but only one month old.
General comments?

This is the first car I have bought from new, and I couldn't be happier. My previous cars have only been 1.0 to 1.2 litre 8v engines so this is quite a step up.
I've got the new ZR facelifted model. It's the 105 with the 1.4 litre engine, which may not seem much, but boy does it shift when you want it too. The k-series engine in this car sounds sweet, and how they've managed to squeeze 105 bhp out of a 1.4 is incredible.
The car loves to be revved to get its best performance, and the ride is excellent despite the firm sports suspension. The best thing about driving it however is its maneuverability. It corners like no other car I've been in. You can actually accelerate hard on sharp roundabouts and you won't lose grip, and body roll is non-existent. All this adds to a driving experience which I've never had in other cars.
It looks great too. I ordered mine in X-power grey, and it just looks mean. Forget your girly saxos or chubby looking golfs, this is how a performance hatch should look. The only extras I ordered were the side sill finishers and the 17 inch straights alloys. The front end with the new lights and grille look great, as does the cleaner tailgate with the recessed number plate and ZR logo.
The inside is a massive improvement over the last ZR, with a cleaner finish, new switchgear, and comfy sports seats which hold you firmly in place. Electric windows, remote alarm and immobilizer, adjustable steering wheel, remote tailgate release, power steering all come as standard.
I didn't buy this car because I'm especially patriotic, but when you consider what you get for the money, this car cannot be beaten. I tested many other cars, but didn't have half the fun that I had in the ZR. If you also consider that the basic car came with dealer discounts taking it to only £8860, it becomes even better value.
In addition, although I haven't had it long, there were NO rattles or falling bits of trim, and nor do I expect any. It feels very solidly put together.
It always puts a smile on my face when I pull up to a junction and other drivers look at me with envy, not realizing that it costs thousands less than their ford focus did. If they had any sense, they would get one too. I wouldn't blindly defend an ailing British car company if it didn't deserve it, but MG-Rover seem to have got their act together.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I've been in quite a few Paxos myself, and in every one the interior quality was appauling, laugh if you will, but I have been so far impressed with the quality of the interior in my 100, and the design of that dates back to 1980!

It's really solid, no rattles and simply designed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts