MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TF stepspeed bought with HGF. I have completely dismantled the engine to clean it up. Now what sealant should I use to rebuild it? The service manual info suggests several different ones which aren't available now. Could I use hylomar 2000? Can I use the same sealant for the crank oil seal and bearing ladder rail any advise would be welcome.

Also what are your thoughts on the same size tyres all round 185/55 15?

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
667 Posts
The sump pan sealant that should be used is the uprated LVV000010, which is ThreeBond 1133E.

The bearing ladder sealant, LVV000108EVA, has been superceded to Loctite 5188.

·
Registered
mg_tf
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, any thoughts on the tyres that are fitted brand new. My other Tf has the correct sizes fitted.

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,826 Posts
Not sure what fitting 185/55’s on all corners would do to the handling, I suspect not much but I don’t think it is a very common change. The 185/55 tend to be less common thus more expensive than say 195/50’s and as result I am not the only one who has fitted these to the front wheels of the my TF.

Regardless any change to the factory fitted tyre sizes normally need the insurance co. to be contacted as it is often classed as a modification.

·
Registered
mg_tf
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll get a pair of 205's for the rear just in case, they aren't a recommended make anyway. I've got to get all the mayo out of the engine before that becomes an issue. I also have the sub frame out for refurb and the hood needs attention so lots of jobs to keep me occupied.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
667 Posts
I know several people who are using that size all around on their MGFs without any reported issues in terms of of handling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts