MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks CJ. I'll phone the garage that did the HGF and see what they say. The noise isnt noticeable at - say - 60 in fifth gear, but do 40 ish in third or fourth and its there. It certainly is a whine and not a screech!!

cheers all

mikef

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Its very important to change the tensioner when the cam belt is done as the lifelength of on of these is often under 120,000 miles (mine went at 106000 and took a lot of the valves with it).

If someone tells you it's "ok", ask them what it will be like in 50,000 miles time. If they justify that question with any other answer than "good point", then they are not doing their job properly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take it back quick, before its to late. Could be waterpump, Cambelt
tensioner. In any case a belt thats too tight will eventually break or
your bearings in the waterpump, tensioner will go. Did they put a new
tensioner & waterpump in when they changed the belt ? or did you
think you could save money by not doing so? Golden rule, if you have
a problem with any of there three (waterpump, Cambelt,Cambelt tensioner)
you allways change all of them.
regards
trevor
I supplied my own parts to the mehanic who replaed my cambelt, he requested i got a new tensioner with the cambelt. Mine didnt have a waterpump change?
cj

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Am taking my car back into Thomas Day next week, tho have a call out to techspeed for a quote on new tensioners.

My noise isn't loud and obvious all the time, but is there when in second or third gear and pushing a few revs, and seems worse when the engine is hot.

Cant find an obvious cause for my deep mechanical juddering noise tho

cheers

mikef

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just picked her up from Fleet, and the cambelt tension is spot on, so they suggested maybe the belts need to 'bed in'. Its embarrassing putting your foot down in second or third once the car is warm, the noise makes her sound like a radio controlled model car....

mikef

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Just picked her up from Fleet, and the cambelt tension is spot on, so they suggested maybe the belts need to 'bed in'. Its embarrassing putting your foot down in second or third once the car is warm, the noise makes her sound like a radio controlled model car....

mikef
Think more along the lines of rally car.... they make a stupid noise.

·
Registered
mg_tf
390 Posts
Thats Bull ****. if it makes a noise why can they not find it and to say
a cam belt will bed in is even more Bull ****. If the tensoner is OK then
they must have done some damage to one of the pulleys, waterpump ect.
If its damage like a small burr on one of the pulleys the cambelt will sooner
that later break and the you will have a capital motor failure. Get it in
writing that its only a bed-in problem for later. Cambelt turn at 6,000rpm
and more it will break up on you. Just for the fun of it did they put a cambelt
on with the right profile ? ( round or square teeth)
regards
trevor

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Think more along the lines of rally car.... they make a stupid noise.
Or a wasp in a jam jar... :)

My paranoia is with you Trevor. I'm not knoweldgable enough to say whether a cam belt beds in or not, but I know when something sounds wrong...

cheers

mikef

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
regards
trevor

Totally agree.

cam belts do not bed in and the noise your hearing (remote control car) sounds very much like a timing belt too tight. if they are saying they checked it and it's fine then you have another problem which they have created if it wasnt like that before. new cam belts do not make a noise.

as Trevor said, get it in writing

·
Registered
89 Posts

mikef
I had exactly the same high pitched noise after my cam belt was changed, I took it back twice before the garage actually did anything, they insisted that I did 1000 miles before they would adjust it as they felt it would bed in during this period, no suprise that the noise did not go away till they re-adjusted the tension, since then it has been pefect.
Just be a pain & keep nagging them till they sort it.

Good luck Andy

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Guys....I may be taking her up to Techspeed for an early service as I have a handling problem that I've noted elsewhere....so I may just call it quits and ask them to look also....

It certainly is an annoying noise, like I said, its only there when you push the revs a bit, but it makes you self-conscious about pulling away...

cheers all

mikef

·
Registered
mg_tf
390 Posts
All I can say is why ask the question ect, if when you get a honest answer
you get paranoia with the one that answers, wait till it breaks and you need a new engine. But do not come back crying because then it will be to late.
Unthankful mortal.
PS: TF has an automatic tensoner"""""

derek

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All I can say is why ask the question ect, if when you get a honest answer
you get paranoia with the one that answers, wait till it breaks and you need a new engine. But do not come back crying because then it will be to late.
Unthankful mortal.
PS: TF has an automatic tensoner"""""

derek
I'm not getting paranoid with anyone here at all, and far from being ungrateful I have already expressed my gratitude for the comments here which have:

- helped me understand more about how the belts/tensioner sysetm works
- reinforced my belief that I am right to think something is wrong

apologies if I gave any other impression

·
Registered
52 Posts
regards
trevor
Hi Trevor,

out of interest do MGF VVC's have round or square teeth?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems to be a common problem I to have differing noises coming from the engine after head gasket,cam belt and water pump replacement.

·
Registered
mg_tf
81 Posts
Agree with the comments that the belt has been over tensioned. The whine is likely to be the waterpump or tensioner that are now under greater load due to the higher tension on the cambelt. Get it adjusted correctly PDQ and consider changing the tensioner pulley as well. False economy given that they will be in there anyway and it's easier to do now than later.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I agree with Luke, if the noise started after a cam belt and tensioner pulley change it’s probably a little too tight. I had to go back and loosen the belt after one of the cam belt changes I did as it was making a whining noise. After that all was good.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts